Moving projects to a new computer

Hello, everyone. I am trying to move my scrivener projects from my old computer to my new computer. That would seem to be straight forward enough, but unfortunately that has not proven to be the case.

I tried to create a back up that I dropboxed over, but when I tried to open it I got an error message saying “File is not writable, access denied. Auto-saves need write permission to your project”

I have done this project move over thing before and remember it being a massive hardship, but since it was several years ago I don’t remember how I did it.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to import my old projects to my new computer? I feel like there must be some secret code that I’m missing.

Thanks!

The easiest way is probably to do it the way you do when working on the same project from different computers: simply save the whole project to a folder in your Dropbox folder (‘File -> Save as…’). You then simply open the project the normal way from the new computer ('File -> Open) and either save it somewhere else later on, or keep it in the Dropbox folder also in the future.

Would that fix the weird permissions error?

So answering my own question, it worked! I had to make a copy to have it open on my new computer, but everything seems in order. :smiley:

:smiley: