Moving text around

Hi
Suddenly I can’t move a highlighted word or sentence around in the edit pane. I have to cut and paste it. I’m using Lion. Any clues. I haven’t changed any of my preferences.
Ta

Jenny

Haven’t seen that one before; and there are no preferences that would disable this behaviour, it is a core part of the editor. My suggestion would be to restart Scrivener and see if that clears it up. New OS and all that, it might just be a text engine glitch. If restarting Scrivener doesn’t work; try moving text around this way in TextEdit.

It seemed to be just that particular file, but weirdly, on two computers (not the third). Closed it down, opened it, still didn’t work. Then closed/opened it again, and it did work. OK at the moment.

Hi
Back with the same problem. I can’t highlight and move text to another place. It’s a new file, not the one I had trouble with before. I’ve tried restarting the app but it isn’t helping. Using Lion. Nothing has changed since I asked about it before. I have to cut or copy and then paste, and go back to cut the original text. Not very good for flow. Any thoughts or solutions?
Jenny

When this starts to happen, can you check and see if TextEdit is acting the same way?

I’ve just checked Textedit and that’s fine. Text moves as it’s supposed to. I’ve also checked my other Scriv project and it has the same problem.

All right, use the main Scrivener menu and select “Reveal Support Folder in Finder”. Open up the “Logs” folder in the window that will pop up. Drag and drop (or try to), and then open that Console.log file and copy and paste the contents into a response here.

The actual console log was empty after I tried to drag and drop, but the ‘all messages’ had this (at the end)
any use?

23/08/2011 17:42:42.620 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
23/08/2011 17:42:52.623 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7740]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4692 (24984):2
23/08/2011 17:42:52.623 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7740]) open("/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_output.log", …): No such file or directory
23/08/2011 17:42:52.623 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7740]) open("/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_error.log", …): No such file or directory
23/08/2011 17:42:52.650 com.crashplan.engine: No Java runtime present, requesting install.
23/08/2011 17:42:52.655 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7740]) Exited with code: 1
23/08/2011 17:42:52.655 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
23/08/2011 17:43:02.658 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7750]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4692 (24984):2
23/08/2011 17:43:02.658 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7750]) open("/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_output.log", …): No such file or directory
23/08/2011 17:43:02.659 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7750]) open("/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_error.log", …): No such file or directory
23/08/2011 17:43:02.690 com.crashplan.engine: No Java runtime present, requesting install.
23/08/2011 17:43:02.694 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7750]) Exited with code: 1
23/08/2011 17:43:02.694 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
23/08/2011 17:43:12.697 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7756]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4692 (24984):2
23/08/2011 17:43:12.697 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7756]) open("/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_output.log", …): No such file or directory
23/08/2011 17:43:12.697 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7756]) open("/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_error.log", …): No such file or directory
23/08/2011 17:43:12.721 com.crashplan.engine: No Java runtime present, requesting install.
23/08/2011 17:43:12.725 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine[7756]) Exited with code: 1
23/08/2011 17:43:12.725 com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Hmm, nothing really useful there unfortunately; thanks for checking though. Try turning off Page View and disabling all centring options in the Editor preference pane. Those are two known vectors for bugs in Lion right now.

Thanks, Amber.

It doesn’t change if I turn off wrap. It doesn’t change if I set the page to the left of the screen. But if I do both then it works fine.

Only thing is, I don’t much like working that way…is there going to be a solution for it, do you think?

Jenny

Now I can move text with wrap on and the page to the left, ie not centered. So it’s only the centered page that’s problematic.

Great, thanks for narrowing that down. It doesn’t surprise me that it’s that setting which is causing issues. We are working on fixes for it which should hopefully solve a number of problems that tie back to it. Meanwhile, you could experiment with using a narrower project window, or vertical split editors to mitigate the left-pinned effect.

Hi,

Could you please give me exact steps to reproduce once I’m in centred page layout mode? I’m still not able to reproduce this.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

I highlight some text, or a word and then drag it to another part of the text: no cursor appears and when I let the text drop it goes back to where I got it from.

I’ve just re-centered the page and tried again, and it still doesn’t work. It’s OK with page wrapped and on left of screen.

J

So this morning, I can’t move text at all except when not wrapped and not centered. Yesterday it was all right if not centered but wrapped. Today not.

J

Hi,

I’m afraid I still just can’t reproduce this at all. Could you please make a video of the problem? (You can use QuickTime to capture video of the screen.) There must be some factor that I’m missing.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Jenny,

Many thanks for sending the movie. From that, am I right in thinking that I can rule out page centring? From the movie, it looks as though it is still not working even with the page aligned left - is that correct?

I think there must be an error getting thrown somewhere here, but previously, when you posted the results from the log, it looks as though you just grabbed stuff from the Console, is that right? Sorry, I missed that before, but unfortunately this won’t help because Scrivener now redirects its error messages to a special log file so that they can be included in crash reports - this is why Ioa asked you to use “Reveal Support Folder…” and to get the contents of a special Console.log file. So, to elaborate on Ioa’s previous instructions on how to grab this info, the next time this happens (which unfortunately I guess will be soon), could you please:

1. Go to the “Scrivener” menu and choose “Reveal Support Folder in Finder”. This will open a Finder window showing Scrivener’s Application Support folder.

2. Open the “Logs” folder in that the Finder window that appears.

3. There you will find a Console.log file. Please either attach it to your reply or open it in a plain text editor and copy and paste the contents in your reply.

Hopefully this will reveal some error messages that might give me a clue as to the cause.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

I did that. Console.log was empty when I clicked on it. Several times. Nothing in it.

Yes, I can only move text if it’s not wrapped. Centre doesn’t work and now nor does having the page on the left. It’s not intermittant, it’s all the time.
J

Ah, when you said “the actual console log was empty” I thought you were talking about the log in Console.app.

What happens if you drop the text, even if there is no cursor there? Does it snap back and do nothing?

Could you please check Console.log and also the other file that appears with it again, just in case? It’s odd that there’s no error.

Also, could you please send me your preferences, by choosing “Save All Preferences…” from the “Manage…” button in the Preferences pane, saving them to file and then sending me the file? That way I can test to see if it is something particular to your set-up.

Once you’ve done that, with Scrivener closed, also try doing the following:

1. In the Finder, open the “Go” menu.

2. Hold down the Option key.

3. “Library” will now appear in the “Go” menu. Click on it.

4. This will open a Finder window showing the contents of the ~/Library folder. Find the Preferences folder inside it and open that.

5. Find the file entitled com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist and move it to the Trash.

Now launch Scrivener again and try moving text around once more. Does it work?

Whether it works or not, to restore your preferred settings, in the Preferences pane click on the “Manage…” button once more and this time choose “Load All Preferences…” Choose the file that you created to send me. This will restore your previous settings. If deleting the file in step (5) above worked, let me know if it still works after restoring your settings.

Best,
Keith