Much simpler insight on converted Projects that iOS won't open: Scrivener 1.9.5.0, demo included

I actually found this creating test projects for you, while redacting a part that shouldn’t be shown.

The problem isn’t weird (if you ever learn German, you are going to have trouble spelling this word) fonts or old-style direct web page References. Its pretty clearly in the Project’s master list, which somehow doesn’t always get converted properly by the new Scrivener Windows.

I found that simply reordering one item, after the conversion, will fix the issue, so that Scrivener iOS is now happy with the project after it syncs the change, a matter of seconds for me even on a rough cable internet access.

Bad and good project zips are [not attached, but emailed to Windows Support], so that you can see changes and thus the problem.

Now, two bugs for the price of one. Part of what threw me off finding this simpler solution earlier is that 1.9.5.0 handles direct access web page References very badly. It takes literally minutes to open one, with several false starts, which if clicked on can even re-begin the interminable process.

It turns out that Scrivener iOS is actually fine with these. Open like any web pages, as smartly as your iPad can (much, much faster on older iPads with the newly released iOS 9.3.3, where Scrivener just generally hums).

So I think Scrivener Windows has a problem here. Is this why it no longer offers direct connect web page Imports? Because I think those should come back, very possibly with a save possibility which is not the dreaded MHT, which I don’t think Scrivener iOS will open, and in any case looks nasty. At the moment the best choice seems to be PDF via Webkit, which gets your content nicely but not like the original page.

The wierd fonts thing was also I believe a bum steer. Perhaps what changing font (or swapping web import for direct web connect) accomplished was just the same updating of the master list as re-ordering a single item does.

Thanks for the follow up for this. It looks like projects in the older format are not always correctly updating to the new iOS-compatible format in 1.9.5 until they are also edited in 1.9.5–so any change that would force a save will do this, like reordering the binder, or making a text edit in any document. I’ve got this as a high priority and we’ll get out an update ASAP, but in the meanwhile the solution is to make sure that any projects that you’re prompted to upgrade when opening them in 1.9.5 you also edit before closing and syncing to iOS.

Dynamic web pages were removed quite a while ago, so it’s not surprising they’re not loading well in the editor. :slight_smile: There are no plans to bring them back as such, but you add links to webpages within the document or project references in the inspector. MHT is the Windows equivalent of Apple’s .webarchive format, essentially saving the webpage as close to as-is as is possible, and MHT files will be able to open in the editor in the next major version of Scrivener for Windows. For cross-platform use, saving your webpages as PDFs or simply copying and pasting content into text documents will be your best option. (This is true both directions, as Windows does not open .webarchive.)

Thanks, Jennifer – and for explanation, which sounds just right.

I kind of thought that might be the response on web page link resources. In fact, though they do open on iOS, they don’t look good – missing all the pictures, and the usual mess of un-cssed headers etc. on the top.

Might I suggest that at the conversion fix goes in, that also 1.9.5 should convert any web link resources into PDF/webkit?

This will make it possible for 1.9.5 to work essentially at all, vs. the several minutes lockup at present with these, and also be fine for iOS. Bonus: the resources will look as good as they can. I don’t know why the PDF conversions forget css, but so do Adobe’s I think. A usual bad move – in their case, maybe to get you to use their web page extractor on the expensive version, but this never worked very well either.

I am off today’s Adobe to degree possible, you might guess :wink:, while keeping my CS6 around and happily using it, also finding that Affinity Designer for Win will edit PDFs far better than Acrobat ever could; free for the moment in Beta, and not so much after that it doesn’t excite my Scotch part of nature (as my Norwegian grandmother used to say…).

Best,
Clive