Multiple Backups

Hi there,

I’m very confused and wonder if someone can help me out. I’ve been using Scrivener for about 2/3 years now and I’ve noticed that although I have Preferences/Backups set to 3 it seems to ignore the limit and keeps adding another file everytime I exit the program. I can’t for the life of me, work out why it ignores this limit.

I’m saving files to: /Users/A/Dropbox/Scrivener/Backups.

Can anyone help please?

Stuart

It might not be scrivener but dropbox that is leaving the backups in place. As a test create a a small project and point your backup location to a non-DB location. If it honors “3” then move the bu to DB and see what happens.

For the record I’ve seen similar behavior with DB on other apps. Not with Scriv though.

I’m afraid it didn’t work Jasen. I relocated the backup folder to my hard drive, but it still ignored the imposed ceiling of copies - plan ‘B’? :slight_smile:

Are you by any chancing working out of the backup folder itself? Scrivener will not use the regular backup scheme when opening projects from within the backup folder. This a protection measure, as we had issues with people loading backups out of the folder, checking them, closing them and in doing so wiping out the oldest backup. If what you’re looking for is in the oldest backup and you start at the newest, you’ll soon lose what you were looking for. So now when you open projects out of the backup folder, regular backups are created for your protection, but they will not be a part of the same project rotation and will not be culled automatically.

If you are unsure of where the working project is, just Cmd-click on the project name in the title bar at the very top of the window. This will show you an ascending list of parent folders, giving you its precise location. If that is the backup folder, then there is your answer. :slight_smile: