Multiple compile orders

I am loving the ability to write non-linearly in Scrivener. However, since my story is multiple point of view, multiple timelines all interleaved, I want to play around a lot with the order of my documents when compiling the story. For example, I may want to compile in strictly timeline order, or perhaps in a character timeline order, or whatever.

I understand I can move things around on the corkboard and in outline mode. However, if I do this and then decide to change, is there any way to save multiple orderings so I can easily go back and forth?

A side question is the general organization of the story within the binder. I originally used folders based on characters and setting to build the story. However, for compilation this doesn’t seem to work very well. I have found no way to change the compile order independent of the folder order.

For example, if I have this structure in the binder:

folder1
document1
document2
folder2
document3
document4

I don’t think I can compile in this order:

document3
document1
document2
document4

Without first removing document3 from folder2. But I wanted it in folder2 for conceptual purposes! Perhaps the best way to organize is single level and use meta-data or keywords to sort??

Any suggestions?

Terry Brown

Use Collections. That’s what I do when I want different reading orders. Use File > Compile and then choose the named Collection (instead of Manuscript/Draft/whatever). Works as expected.

I didn’t realize this potential use of collections when I went through the manual.

Thanks! I’ll explore this, it certainly looks like a good solution to aid in organization.

I may like this forum as much as I like Scrivener!

Terry