Multiple Document Notes

It would be nice if we could have the capability to make multiple document notes, and be able to expand and hide a list of them, like we can in the binder, just where they are right now in the inspector. Right now, fishing through all of the one document note for one note is rather tedious. I’m not sure if this is a possibility, but it would be nice. :smiley:

The Document Notes feature will remain as it is for the foreseeable future, a simple scratch pad per document, but we will be introducing a new Inspector pane in the future that will probably address what you want.

For now, there are a few things that could come in handy:

• Select some text in your document and hit Cmd-L (or Ctrl-G, Ctrl-D on Windows). This way you can attach longer notes to bits of text where relevant. Note this creates new documents, but that shouldn’t be a problem if you store them somewhere relevant.
  • Speaking of which, some people like to store extended notes nested beneath the document in question (linked or unlinked). You can use Document Templates to make that process even nicer, such as giving them a custom icon to set them apart from regular documents, and toggling the “Include in Compile” flag off, so they can be safely included in the Draft area.
  • Extending on the above concepts, the References inspector pane can also be useful for extended notes and relationships between documents. If a note doesn’t really pertain to a bit of text directly (in a manner the first solution might work well with), a general link to a note document in References could be a good alternative. Regarding that new feature I mentioned above, using References would be a good transition into that, based on how it will work.

That’s a decent alternative. Is there some way I can change the way the linked text looks? I would generally prefer it not to be underlined, and only a different color of my choosing. I apologize for my ignorance on the matter. Lol. I’ve all but forgotten how to change Scrivener settings in the time that I’ve had it since I haven’t needed to change anything.

Also…how would I change the link or remove a link?

How would I do that? As above, I’m not really sure what I am doing. Lol. Is there a tutorial video somewhere about it?

This option I figured out, and this looks like a good one. I am still curious about the other options though, because I will probably want to do multiple things, depending on the type of note.

Thanks. :smiley:

No problem!

You can change link appearance in two places:

• Formatting preference pane: there is a checkbox to remove the underline.
  • Appearance preferences, under “Customizable Colors”, Editor section: “Links”.

As with most things in the text, you can do a lot of stuff with it by right-clicking on it, or a selection of it.

One thing to note for the future, if you use links this way in your Draft, you might want to strip them out when you compile. There is a setting for that in Transformations compile option pane, Remove all hyperlinks.

Yes, in fact! Try this page. If you prefer reading and experimenting in your own time, the main interactive tutorial in the help menu also has a section on document templates. For the full documentation, see §8.5, Document Templates, pg. 90 in the user manual PDF.

I do agree, that’s how I work as well. They each have their own pros and cons.