Multiple Indices for final manuscript

Hi,

I would like to have at least two index sections at the end of my manuscript, one regular index and one index of names. I haven’t been able to find index creation at all in the product literature. Is there a way to create indices for including in the final manuscript? How is this done?

Sorry, but there are no indexing features in Scrivener. You’ll need to perform that stage of the final production in a word processor or some other software geared toward indexing. The best you could do in Scrivener is manually creating the lists using some of the techniques described in Chapter 22, “Creating a Table of Contents”, starting on pg. 281.

You need to be careful which word processor you choose, given that not all word processors do indexing. Word and Nisus Writer Pro both do. Mellel doesn’t. I’m not sure if Pages does. TextEdit certainly doesn’t.

Thanks for the tips.

I would suggest that two indices are difficult to assemble and not helpful to readers.
What do you do with the name of a book, or of a place, or an object?
In a sense, most words are names, or nouns, either common or proper.
Instead, you might assemble all references in a single index,
And then bold-face the names of persons, if that helps to distinguish them.

BTW, the best indexing software I ever used was Indexer, a sub-set of Panorama, by ProVue.
It made for fast, easy creation of main and subordinate topics, a-z or by page numbers.

Paris, France
city of, 18
history of, 34
nightclubs in, 62

In some fields, double indexing is common, especially text books. One index is for topics and another is for references to people. It’s widespread and many of my academic texts have it. Occasionally I have even used the people index as I read the text… :unamused:

To follow up on one thing that druid said, there are other bits of commercial software that are dedicated to creating indexes. Here’s a website with discussion and links. I have no experience with any of them.

The only index I’ve created I made by hand in Scrivener, referring to a pdf proof of the book (which itself had been written in Scriv, but then exported to rtf to send to the publishers, who had it laid out then sent back as the aforementioned pdf). This is a variation of the second method listed on the page I linked to above, and was quite workable.

My experience: the first page academics consult is the index, to see if THEY are cited. :wink:

Thanks everyone. The technical advice and further references are very helpful!

(Opinions about what my readers want or expect, not so helpful)

This is not necessarily technical advice, but it may be useful to people who are new to indexing, and get to this thread after a search: there is a good, succinct chapter on indexing in Butcher, J. (1996). Copy-Editing: The Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Authors, and Publishers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Helpful! Thanks, Nicka.