Multiple labels on index cards.

Hi! I just started using Scrivener to restructure a novel and I’m loving it! It’s so much easier to organize a book with this. I wish I’d had it when I typed up the first draft.

I have a question for you. Is there some way to mark index cards with more than one label?

Thank you so much!

There’s no way to put multiple labels on index cards yet but it’s being considered for a later release after 1.0 has been finished.

I would love to be able to use tags instead of labels (or multi-label, whatever terminology you want to call it). Right now, the label functionality is near to useless for me.

I’m glad to hear TPTB are considering this capability for a future version. Where do I pay for my upgrade? :slight_smile:

This is not being considered for a future release. :slight_smile: You likely got this information via the telephone game. What definitely will be in a future release (some time well after the initial 1.0 release in all likelihood) is keywords on the index card. Labels are designed, from the core, to be a single-axis meta-data. If you need more than one of them, you are probably thinking of keywords.

See here.

Thanks, Ioa!

Darn, I was excited about the multiple labels (like SuperNoteCard gives you) but if keywords will be able to be seen on the index cards, then that will probably have the same function albeit less easy to quickly gather the info in a glance. Thought: Could the keywords text on the index cards be colourized? That would make them fully functional!

AmberV,

No, I’m not thinking of keywords. Keywords are metadata meant to describe the content whereas tags/labels/whatever-you-want-to-call-them are metadata that describes the chunk/file/folder.

Having said that, I don’t really care what the functionality is called, as long as it’s easy to use. I find the keyword pane clunky to get to right now. Labels are easily expose, so if there may eventually be a way to place multiple labels, I’d be super-happy with that. :slight_smile:

Yes, sorry if that comment came off as sounding derisive. I don’t mean to say “you are in ERROR if you are thinking of multiple labels”. :slight_smile: I meant more: keywords are meant to be the super-flexible aspects of Scrivener, and the label is meant to be the high-level “this is that and nothing else” type of identifier.

We call them keywords, but they are useful for a plethora of things. Their ease of use is something that will improve over time. In the 2.0 revisions, they will auto-complete as you type, meaning reduced entry time; use their colour in many contexts (including outliner and printing), and so on.

Labels are indeed, and will become even more so, the most visible meta-data option. In fact, part of what makes them so visible and useful at that scale is the fact that you can only have one of them. Tinting the outliner row, or the binder row, for instance, wouldn’t work so well if you had two.

Here’s an example where multiple labels would come in handy:

My novel switches between POVs, so I have renamed my label POV (as suggested in tutorial). Some chapters are flashbacks, so it would be nice to create an extra label specifying the time frame (past, present). Or just to keep the original label specifying whether it’s a chapter, scene, etc. in addition to the POV.

True, and to reiterate, I am aware of how a thing can be qualified into more than one taxonomic realm. I’m not saying that every scene in a book should be something narrowed down to a single all-defining description. That would be proscriptive nonsense. I’m just saying: that’s what keywords are for. Because things are lots of different things and do need multiple ways of expressing that.

The label is not meant for that type of information. It’s a much simpler device, designed to have a high degree of visibility in how it is used to tint background rows, icons, card paper, etc. It’s a major axis. So to come back to what I was saying originally: if you are thinking, “well B is a label too,” then it is very likely that neither A nor B should be labels in your book. If you have POV as a label and find yourself thinking that Era should be a label too, then it is very likely that you shouldn’t be using POV as a label either. If Era and POV have equal weight in how you visualise the book, they should be using a system that can ascribe equal weight without diluting itself with quantity of data-points.

Some books could use POV as the label. If that’s the only major thing that needs to be tracked, then great, use it. But if your book has multiple stuff at equal levels that need to all be tracked together: use keywords. The feature already exists, and it doesn’t make a mess of the metaphor trying to cram in aux labels.

Some others have luck with compound labels. For example, a character you associate with the colour green. Then you associate dark colours with past, medium-lowsaturation with present, and pastel with future. So pastel green would be this character in the future era. Dark red would be another character in the past. You can get creative with it that way too.