Multiple labels?

First of all, let me say that I am extremely impressed with Scrivener. It works very well with my writing process, and it is beautifully designed. I keep finding new features to love.

I was just wondering if there is a way to add more than one label to a project. For example, I might want to label a section both by the POV from which it’s written and by the storyline it treats. Right now I can’t see a way to do that. Would it be possible to add the option for extra label columns to the outliner? I did search the help files and the forums, so I hope I’m not just missing something obvious.

Thanks again for all your work!

There is no way to do that currently. Unfortunately you’ll either have to make compound labels (Authur:Search for the Grail, Authur:Destruction of the Grail), or relegate one to some other feature. If you find you do not use status for draft levels that much, you could move draft levels to keywords, for example. Another possibility, if you do not use card titles for visible titles in the book, is to put some of that data right into the title of the scene, “Authur: Stumbles upon a magician.” Since most scenes are not visibly titled, this could be a workable solution that is just as visible as a label.

Actually, this is exactly what keywords are supposed to be for - so that you can apply arbitrary meta-data to documents. You can use keywords to keep track of storylines and so forth just as easily as you can with labels, I hope.
Best,
Keith

Agreed, and I would use keywords myself, in this situation. However if one wishes to have two points of diverging data represented at the Binder/Corkboard/Outliner level, then some other trick must be employed.

Personally, I would create a King Authur POV saved search on keyword and just snap that on whenever I need to see POV. Plot thread labels will be instantly available right in the search results. It could be done the other way around just as easily if POV is more important globally.

While I undertand Keith’s and Amber’s responses above, I think the original proposal for user-defined and -added columns is a good idea. I believe another thread was also about this. It definitely provides more flexibility, depending on the type of project, in order to keep keywords/tags for other purposes. It was one of the nicest features of a piece of software called Mori that I trialled at one point (but didn’t jump into because of its lack of true PDF support and search).

Of course, I’m just adding my PoV for the sake of “feature requests” for 1.5 or 2.0. This is obviously not meant for the immediate future. But I do hope that Keith gives it some serious thought in the future.

I will certainly consider it in the future, although it’s worth noting that Scrivener was never meant as a general databasing app, or even as a general-purpose outliner, so the need for custom columns was not really anticipated, and I’m not really 100% sure they fit into the overall app philosophy. But like I say, I will certainly consider it when it comes to 1.5/2.0. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith

Hmm, I just had an idea. Perhaps the speculations on independently set index card colours could be merged with this concept. I like that idea better, because less visual information displayed in identical formats lets the eye pick out things with greater accuracy and rapidity.

There are still a lot of complexities involving how this data should be expressed in other views, but I have some ideas there too.

This is way off in the future. Independently-coloured index cards means some changes to the corkboard view, and I’m not going down that road for some time, especially given that the pins show label colours in the current set up.
Best,
Keith

This is way off in the future. Independently-coloured index cards means some changes to the corkboard view, and I’m not going down that road for some time, especially given that the pins show label colours in the current set up.
Best,
Keith

Just for the record, could I second this motion? :smiley:

You can, but it won’t happen. :slight_smile: Sorry, this isn’t meant to be flip, but user-defined columns just won’t happen in any 1.x release, maybe I’ll review in a year or two when I come to consider what users want for 2.0. Scrivener isn’t meant to be an outliner, so the columns in the outliner area are fixed and linked very carefully to meta-data that has meaning throughout the rest of the application. How would extra columns in the outliner appear in the inspector, for instance?
All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I understand this is not something you are going to look at any time soon, and that you are developing this (wonderful!) software on your own. What follows, therefore, is not an attempt to badger you into submission, but an attempt to clarify my thoughts, since you asked.

Personally, I do not use outlining software. Most of my outline is in my head. I do like to keep an excel sheet or Word document with some at-a-glance information to keep everything straight in my mind. So I am not looking for elaborate outlining functions; just a few key notions around which to organise my thoughts.

I am not a programmer, so I am not sure what problems user-generated labels would pose. My thoughts would be to link user-generated labels to another folder than the draft, or to wherever their contents can be mere stickers around which to group information, like keywords. Perhaps there are ways to keep the same continuous overview with keywords, but I have not been able to find them yet.

All the best,
Cindy