Multiple projects - Options??? - to "ZIP Back Up" to respective default locations

I have multiple projects and I do a lot of File > Back Up > Back Up To > Backup as ZIP File. Does Scrivener have any option that will default the “Backup Project To Location” to a location that is respective to each individual project?? OR - Do I have to continue manually setting the location destination upon changing from project to project?

Are there really no replies to this thread??? I am surprised that no one has experienced the same inconvenience.

The silence possibly shows that others aren’t doing this. The thought of it never even occurred to me. Why would one want to have a lot of zip:ed backups in different locations? Scrivener automatically saves the work in progress and make a backup on close as standard.

The answer to your question is probably ‘no, it can’t do it automatically, you have to do it manually’ because Scriv doesn’t as default save each project in its own folder.

Thank you for your reply. I understand your way of processing the situation.

Your main question to me was: Why would one want to have a lot of zip:ed backups in different locations?

The concern is organization and not necessarily whether or not there are zip files or plain backups. If an individual has 15 projects in progress then all backups - no matter their method - are all in the same location. I have all of my project files in Windows folders where each folder is respective to an individual project. It simply would be a nice feature, for those of us that value digital organizational/filing detail, to have each project’s saving options to offer the ability to be saved to a folder that includes only files relative to the specific project. Those folders not only contain the —.scrivx files but also contain other files relative to the project like full screen background photos and photo edits that have been turned into collages. Etc., etc.

Scrivener offers the ability to work on more than one project. Therefore, it would be nice to direct each project to it’s own folder. I find it hard to imagine that there might not be others that likewise enjoy full control over their digital filing/saving/security on external and internal medias from HDD’s to SSD’s to USB’s to the Cloud.

It is kind of the same theory as ‘full profiles’ in email/browser programs like Thunderbird, Firefox, Outlook, CAD programs, etc… At this point in time it is as though Scrivener acts as it’s own profile no matter what it composes - rather than offering the potential for all projects to individualize themselves by benefiting from their own respective all encompassing profile(s).

At any rate - my wishes probably won’t see any attention any time soon. Nonetheless, there are tons of great features that position Scrivener into being the ultimate composition software. Good job Scrivener! So, that said, I guess I’ll live with a little inconvenience.

Any further comments or suggestions will be respectfully accepted. I fully realize it is very difficult for programmers to please everyone.

Each project IS already a folder. The thought behind the current layout is that you should NOT have the backups in the same location as the project, but hopefully somewhere where they are safe if something happens to the active project.

I have all my Scrivener projects in a ‘Scrivener projects’ folder in my Dropbox folder, my ordinary backups (made every time I close the project) in another folder (not on Dropbox) which is automatically continuously backed up by Time Machine (the built-in Mac system for backup to an external hard drive) and zipped backups on another cloud service (previously Cubby, now moving everything to Box or Mega, haven’t decided yet). And the ‘Scrivener projects’ Dropbox folder has a sub-folder named ‘Active projects’ which is synced with my iOS devices. That way I can always work with my active projects from my iPad when out and about.

Those other files you mention that belong to the project, like images or pdf’s or whatever, I keep inside the project in the Research part of the Binder. That way they are always accessible from within the project while I am writing. And because of the way Scrivener handles all this (as separate files within a subfolder under the project folder), it doesn’t slow down the laptop in any way.

So Scrivener essentially already provides the organizational filing order you seem to want. That’s why the project is a folder and not a single file, like in Word. :slight_smile:

There is actually a simple, technical reason why the backup location is per-machine, not per-project:

If you’re using multiple machines (and many Scrivener users do, some even going so far as to use both Windows and Mac) then you run the very high risk of setting a per-project backup path that doesn’t exist on one or more machines.

Which means risking losing those backups.

As others have said, backups should be stored separately from the live project, and the specified backup location must work on all systems that have access to the project.

Of course, there are plenty of third-party tools that can do whatever post-backup archiving you like, including routing to “smart” folders based on the project name.

Katherine

Incidentally, one of the advantages of having a central backup location is that you can always find out where it is by looking at Scrivener’s master preferences.

If the location is project-specific, than anything that destroys the original project will destroy the accessible copy of the location record.

In your scenario, it probably doesn’t matter, because you are using an organizational scheme that would allow you to find your backups by other means. But what if the user changes the location on a regular basis, for instance to create date-based archives? Finding the backup without a copy of the original could easily involve a difficult easter egg hunt, at precisely the moment when the user is ill-equipped to handle it.

Katherine

Firstly - I want to thank the forum for supporting me with input. I graciously concede that it is entirely possible that I have not been incorporating the full benefits of Scrivener.

I have started studying your replies and preparing to blend them into my current procedures.

My current procedures are shown via the accompanying attachment. You can see by viewing it how I have been doing my ZIP backups. I have this many ZIP backups for what I believe - to my own use - to be a benefit to my madness.

Viewing the file structure tree you can see why I would like to (or thought I would like to) have the pleasure of each ‘project’ (be it novel, meeting, or seminar) to have a means to direct its own backup location.

I just wanted to share this attachment with you in the event that you might want to offer additional comments on my right or wrong way (relative to Scrivener) of handling my filing needs.

I do want to stress that everything you see is backed up to external drives and USB’s (some of which even have ‘off premises’ security locations) as well as their original internal PC HDD locations.

Thanks so much for helping me further understand, implement, and benefit from the intended usage/applicable methods of this portion of Scrivener.

Kind Regards, Dekade