My file opens, with chapter titles but no content. Please help. Mac Os

I have a folder on my desktop for my book in Scrivener. It contains the file for my book, along with some other Scrivener files (tutorial, in particular.) I’ve always been able to open the book file and work on it, flawlessly. But today, when I opened it, the chapter titles are there in the “Manuscript” but each chapter is blank, showing ‘no words.’ Yikes. Have I lost my book?

Hi Doccoach, and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry you’re having issues with your project.

Are you having your Mac automatically upload all of its Desktop data to your iCloud Drive?

I ask because the behavior you’re seeing sounds like iCloud Drive (or perhaps another cloud service) has changed your default settings to “online only” or “storage optimized” for your Scrivener projects.

That’s a common cause of the behavior you’re seeing.

You can use the suggestions on this Apple Support page on iCloud Drive settings to allow your Scrivener projects to be accessed when the Mac is offline.

If that doesn’t correct the issue, you might try restoring from Scrivener’s automatic backups, assuming that you’re closing the project at the end of each writing session.

§5.2.3 of the Scrivener manual explains how to safely access your backups, and you can access the manual from Scrivener’s Help menu.

We also have this Knowledge Base article with the steps on restoring from backups.

1 Like