My first novel (Scrivener composed) hits stores in July

Scrivener got me through the writing of my first novel, an apocalyptic horror story called THE HOLE. I serialized the first draft online as I wrote it, it got picked up by a publisher, I made it through the exhausting revision process, and now it’s scheduled to be released in July.

So, yeah. I’m kind of giddy about it. And Scrivener’s awesome. It’s got me 12,000 words into my next novel, too.

Congratulations! That’s fantastic!

Fabulous news! Well done!! :slight_smile:

Yep. Congrats!

Nice! And another potential addition to the “Published Authors” testimonials page. Please drop back by and tell us what it feels like to see your name on the shelf for the first time.

Fantastic, well done. And, I will freely admit, I’m envious too :smiley:

I’m curious as too this sudden popularity with post-apocalyptic settings for novels too! What made you pick your theme? I recently finished a first draft of my own ‘after the end of the world’ novel.

Well done Aaron, heartiest congrats!! :wink:
Vic

Bravo Aaron!

Kudos :smiley:

Giovanni

Thank you so much for all the kind words of congratulations, everyone.

Congrats on finishing the first draft. That’s the hard part. As to post-apocalypse, I’m not sure why it’s so in right now. Maybe it’s symptom of general fear-for-the-future stuff, with people freaking out about global warming, financial collapse, peak oil, vaccines, etc? Don’t know.

For me, it was actually unintentional. Sort of. I started a short story about a sociopath at the end of the world, but I didn’t intend to do much more with it besides have fun with a character. At the same time, I got kind of hooked on reading about Mormon history (I’m an unbeliever, myself, but the history of the Mormon church is fascinating) and had the notion of retelling the Mormon foundation story as a Lovecraftian thing. And somehow I realized I could mash the two together and turn it into a novel (though I dropped the sociopath bit).

Though, as I think about it, post-apocalypse is also a sandbox setting. Everything’s wiped out. So you can get away with anything – and you can focus on just your characters and what they’re doing and not have to worry about the rest of society or goings on outside the frame. If that makes sense. So maybe it’s just easier?

That or it could just be a simple fad – one I’m more than happy to ride.

Good luck with your novel.

Congratulation!

Fascinating, thanks for the response. Indeed, it makes sense, the idea of sandboxing. For me, it’s partly that, plus the ability to explore our world from a different perspective. My protagonist, for example, is a Western girl trapped making her way across a deserted Japan. For me, the ultimate ‘stranger in a strange land’, allowing me to explore an already alien culture (to me) through the eyes of someone who has almost no expose to any kind of modern human culture.

Congratulation! All the best for your upcoming books! :smiley:

Congrats, that’s exciting!