My projects in Scrivener 3 for Windows have vanished

I started using Scrivener with great enthusiasm a few days ago. Everything was going well. Today, though, when I opened Scrivener on my PC the projects I’d set up had vanished. I can’t see them in Projects or Recent Projects or anywhere else. The missing projects were saved to Windows Explorer, so I tried to re-import them, but Scrivener won’t open the files or, seemingly, recognize the command. What am I doing wrong?

It might be a good idea to read through the introductory sections in Chapter 5 of the user manual PDF, All About Projects. The words and concepts you are using to describe things are not how the software works. There is no “importing into” Scrivener, and the “recent” list is just a volatile convenience tool that may or may not list what you need. Scrivener is more like a program such as MS Word than you may be thinking, in other words, where one loads .docx files with it, and if a .docx file is not in the recent list that doesn’t mean it has vanished, etc.

The good news is that it sounds like you know where your projects are, you just haven’t figured out how to open them. That’s pretty essential to know about, of course. See §5.1.3.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. I read Chapter 5. I seem to be following the instructions all right. I was able to successfully import several documents from Word to Scrivener. I’m still trying, but not succeeding in, working out why I can’t repeat the process and import another Word document. Scrivener simply refuses to open the documents in a New Project folder. I shall continue to investigate. If anyone has suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!

If I understand you correctly, it won’t open .docx file directly, they need to be imported into an existing project. If the idea is to have a different project for each of the .docx files (existing WIPs for example), then you need to use the File ▸ New Project... menu command to make a new project for it, then drag the .docx into the binder, and repeat for each one.

Finally, I got it! The problem was completely my fault. I had set up a new project, so that was okay, but didn’t understand that I had to add a chapter in the binder, click on it, and then in the new chapter choose Import and select a Word document from my One Drive. Once I did that, the Word doc was imported seamlessly. Thanks again for your help! All is well now.

2 Likes