my wish list

Hi

Im new here and im new to the application I have waiting for - for years.

What im miss in your app is:

1.) A database for ideas. A place where you just put small ideas.
Maybe also a way to write this ideas without starting the app. Just like soho notes or yojimbo.

2.) Maybe take away the cork background - maybe have a look like blackboard - whiteboard.

And also in this view - is it possible to get more free to drag the cards in this view - im feel so locked.

Maybe you can drag the cards just like you can in Aperture, in the light board.

Also it would be nice to zoom in and out easier.

3.) I think its a little bit complicated to print what you write.

Sorry for my poor english, i hope you understand anyway

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Scrivener isn’t really a databasing program. The idea instead is that you just use separate documents for each idea. You can then attach a synopsis to these ideas (or just click on the “…” button above the index card in the inspector to create one automatically) and look at them quickly using the corkboard or outliner. That is kind of the whole idea, in fact. :slight_smile:

You can already do this via the Fonts & Colors tab of Preferences. You can choose any colour you want for the corkboard background.

No, sorry. How would that work? There has to be a set order for the cards. Remember that they are really part of your binder outline. If you could drag them anywhere you wanted, how would Scrivener work out which one is supposed to come first, next and so on? It would have to do too much guesswork.

Note sure what you mean by this. To zoom in on or out of the text you can either use the pop-up menu in the footer view, or you can just hit alt-cmd-up or down. Seems pretty easy to me. :slight_smile:

Not quite sure what you mean here, either. Printing in Scrivener works just like it does in any other Mac application - go to File > Print. Hey presto - your current document is printed. Of course, if you want to print the whole draft, then you have to go through the Export Draft route, but you only have to set that up once and you can print pretty quickly whenever you want.

Thanks for your feedback,
Keith

Thanks for your extremly quick answers.

1.) ok. i understand your point of view. but i think it would be nice to whenever you get an idea you dont need to start Scrivener to write it down - just have a place directly in OSX where you can write it don and it saves. When you sooner get inside Scriviner you can organize this ideas in a separate document or just leave them in the idea box to use later on when that idea fits in your “story”

2.) ok nice

3.) oh i understand your confuse about my request. And i know the problem around it but of course you need some grid so the app can understand what comes first. I mean it like you put cards on a wall you can have some one in a order but they dont seems so exaktly in a line.

hmm maybe i need to came back with this thing.

i understand you and i understand your confuse about my question but im really think my idea is great - really :wink:

The zoom thing im talk about is in the coark view - if you think about for example aperture you can zoom in and out in the light table with a slide instead of a contextual menu like in this app.

3.) That sort of printing is easy and hmm maybe this is not problem.

I have some more request:

• Maybe you can do this but im not recognise that - can you link pictures to a story? for example inspiration?

That would be nice.

i will came up with more ideas i promise.

Why - because i really love your app. :wink:

Collecting data off-line. Perhaps what you are looking for can be found in Scrivener’s clipping service? I am not quite sure what you mean by collecting data without having the program open. Do you mean it is actually running, just not in the foreground – because with at least Yojimbo, you still need the program running to collect data in it – even if in a background sense. If that is all you want, then Scrivener’s clipping service is precisely what you want. Select some text in most any other program, go to the system Services menu, and you’ll see a set of actions for clipping the text to Scrivener. The selected data will be silently added using whichever method you prefer, in the background. Later, when you are ready to sort everything you have gathered, you can bring Scrivener to the front and have at it. If you use the “Create New Clipping from Selection”, method, you will end up with precisely what you want: An “inbox,” or “thought box” of individual clippings, all pre-filled with synopsis cards.

See also this thread, where I post some tips on how to make the corkboard look more like a digital diagram.

On the topic of free-dragging cards. There have been discussions on that, and other concepts which are more useful to my mind, such as being able to see more than one level of hierarchy in the corkboard. But, all of them require a lot of thought on visual implementation, as well as technical and procedural (such as the point already brought up about how the Binder should interpret positioning into a defined order.) There are applications which do parse hierarchy/list order information from a free-drag map environment, but I personally have never been overly enthused with the implementation. I am thinking of MyMind and NovaMind, here. Both programs let you drag items around freely, and then convert the results into an outline. But the resulting feel is kind of narrow and a bit cultural, such as an emphasis on left to right / top to down. The one program I do use on a regular basis that has both outlines and maps is Tinderbox. But in Tinderbox, where you place elements on the map has nothing to do with their actual order in the outline. In effect, it allows you to store two different information implementations for the same set of data. In a program like Scrivener, I am not sure if that would be of any intuitive benefit – it is a book outline, not an abstract data model.

Zooming in Corkboard is possible, but in a slightly oblique way. In the View menu, Index Cards/Cards Across/… you can decide how many cards are shown in one row, effectively zooming in and out. It is not a “real” zoom though because the amount of show information changes. Large cards can hold more visible information, and small cards less. A true zoom would show the same information in a larger or smaller card. Personally, I think the current method is more useful. If you are going to have a huge card, you might as well have a lot of text on it, not just huge letters to go with it.

Absolutely. In fact you can link not only to images in the Scrivener project, but files of any sort on the hard drive, including web locations on the Internet. With the part of the story open in the editor that you wish to establish a link to, open up the Inspector, and click the bookmark shaped icon at the bottom (or press Cmd-8). You will be presented with a “References” list in which things can be dropped. Dragging items from the Binder will establish an internal link with them. This means you can load them up in the view. If you have the option “Open Scrivener Links in alternate editor”, clicked in Preferences/Navigation, you can double-click these references and have them load in the alternate split. Otherwise, they will load in the current editor. Linking to external files on the disk will open them in their respective viewing/editing applications.

ok thanks for the quick answer.

I dont you really understand my first wish about to without start the app can write an idea and when you start the app you have it there.

Soho notes have that - and its so great

They have it in the menu bar - just a click - write and enter and you have saved your new idea.

About the zoom function, i understand the problem - but i think it would be great anyway to have a slide to choice if you want 1-9. Just slide(zoom) and you see directly whats happen. I dont really mean real zoom.

I want to color the cards - not only in outline.

A sync function would be nice with .mac for example so you can have the same info on your for example macbook and your imac at home.

Always in sync.

Again i must say it would be nice if you have a place where all your ideas that dont have any home can live.

I work as a screenwriter and all the time get new ideas - today i have them in black books - thats great - unfortunately the dont have search so its hard to find.

But if you have an archive in your app you can have all your ideas at your fingertip - and you can search. You can give them keywords.

You can se it like you have a library (archive) where you have all ideas, all your projects (draft) and all your research material.

The last wish i have is maybe the hardest one.

a co-work over the internet.

Ah, I see what you mean with the note collection. I really know nothing about Soho Notes. There is a discussion going on over here that might be of interest to you. It should be noted that since Scrivener 1.0 is feature locked, all of this discussion is somewhat academic – but useful because some day in the future, I’m sure Keith will be interested in evolving the application further. Because of this, I like to propose work-arounds using existing tools or other parts of Scrivener. It may not be as “perfect” as what you are visualising, but given the feature freeze, one might as well entertain alternative methods.

Card colours: Try pressing Cmd-Opt-P to turn pins on. These are coloured using the same data axis as in Outliner. Both are tied to the “Label” meta-data. The list of colours and their corresponding titles can be editing in the File menu, Labels & Status Setup….

If you mean you want another data axis entirely (the ability to colour cards and pins), then a decision would have to be made on where that other axis is set in other views, or if it should be. Do we really need a second colour chip for documents?

Back to the non-project oriented notes idea. The alternative I gave in the thread linked above is much more temporary than what it sounds like you want. Have you considered just making a separate Scrivener project for the collection of un-assigned ideas and data? This can be left open all of the time, if you wish, in conjunction with active projects. You’ll find that data can be drag-and-dropped between open projects very easily, and that all corresponding meta-data will be copied over when you do this.

Scrivener’s approach is intentionally very project centric. There is no interface that binds projects together, as you’ve noticed. It is not meant to be like DEVONthink where you just dump anything and everything. The idea is to create a new project for a single book or other publication. Interaction between open projects is pretty smooth. Likewise, it is intentionally focussed on the process of actually writing. It has considerable facilities for storing and displaying diverse research media and material, since it is a boon to the writing process, but it was never meant to be an archive or library of all known data and ideas. It could be used for that, if you got creative with some of its features, but there are other programs out there that are built specifically for that purpose – and Scrivener could never do all of the things they do in their realms, just as they lack many of the writing focussed tools that Scrivener has in the Draft. If you already use Soho notes, why not keep using it for the purpose it was intended for?

I hope this doesn’t come off as rude, I am just wondering why it is that you wish Scrivener could become an archival application in addition to a writing application, when there are plenty of very good archival applications already out there?

Thanks again and thanks for the pin colouring stuff. thats great.

This is exactly what I have done. I have a Scr. project that is called simply ‘writing ideas’ which houses just that–all ideas, and even some research material to help develop ideas that are not yet clear enough projects to hold their own. As soon as something solidifies, it gets its own project file. It works well, and it gives me a place to dump all my ideas, tidbits, resources that may or may not turn into actual writing projects. I leave it open, and can easily add things to it. I also use Sidenote for immediate thoughts which I can then copy and past or drag to different apps depending on what kind of thought it is (I use MacJournal for personal journaling, for example).

The system is simple and convenient and works, at least for me. :slight_smile:
Alexandria

I like the idea of using an “idea bucket” project, because once things do get to a point where they are ready to be developed into a project, you needn’t worry about the import and export hassle that exists when moving data between separate applications.

Yet another simple, excellent idea that hadn’t occured to me. Perhaps this is because the ability to transfer/drag a note from project to project and retain all metadata still strikes this old DT user as weirdly, wonderfully magical.
Thank for the hint.

Still procrastinating,
E

Ditto to the idea of adding a feature for syncing with .mac. :slight_smile: