Nano version of Scrivener crashing

I used the beta version all last year and loved it. I’ve downloaded the Nanowrimo trial version and it keeps crashing on me, no other version did this.

Here is the Windows problem report:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Scrivener.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ea46370
Fault Module Name: QtGui4.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.7.2.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e957a10
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0017d2c6
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 63a3
Additional Information 2: 1daf27d67e14d5dec022955e575af036
Additional Information 3: 4638
Additional Information 4: e050a21c5038958f3c9cca146d205a6b

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I’m using the same laptop etc for this version as for previous ones

I ran into this same problem, with the same faulting module name of QtGui4.dll, after I had imported a file from Word. It was repeatable by moving around in a text quickly using the scrolling wheel. I’m guessing there must be some hang up in that release, maybe a display issue? So, I used the Help–>Check for Updates feature, which updated it to 0.0.49. Not sure what this did to the beta expiration (maybe it will expire tomorrow), but it hasn’t crashed since.

Hope that helps.

There was a bug in the initial NaNoWriMo release that could cause crashing when certain invalid characters were imported or copy/pasted into the editor–the way that Word or other programs sometimes encodes certain punctuation marks like smart quotes, for instance, can use non-strict RTF encoding and give Scrivener an issue. The trial .exe was updated to include the first part of the fix for this, so if you’re using the 045 version (you can check under Help > About Scrivener), you could download again from the special offers page and install that over your current version. You could also download the standard 1.0 trial, which gives you 30 days of use (rather than the NaNo trial’s expiration date of Dec 7), but 30 days will still get you through NaNoWriMo and into December. The other thing you could try, with the version you already have, is to convert smart quotes/apostrophes to straight quotes and then re-import, but if you’ve already done some editing in Scrivener this might end up being a lot of trouble and there’s no guarantee that it will fix the problem–it’s worked for some users, but it’s going to depend on just what characters are in the document.