Nanowrimo project template disappeared

Not sure if this is a bug or not.

I bought Scrivener yesterday and loaded the Nanowrimo template/compile extras into it just fine. Then there was an update so I loaded that successfully too. Now I don’t know if the update was what caused it, but I can no longer see the Nanowrimo template on the Project templates page. When I try re-importing it I get this message:

Template ‘Nanowrimo Novel’ already exists.
Template ‘Nanowrimo Novel’ already exists. If you continue this template will be overwritten. Continue?

After I click yes, I get:

Could not save template: Nanowrimo Novel
Please check the file is not in use by any other application.

However, despite the messages the template doesn’t show up in the Project Template list. The Nanowrimo obfuscated compile settings seem to be working fine, just the project template disappeared.

What’s going on? I have tried deactivating/uninstalling/reinstalling, but no dice.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Custom project templates shouldn’t be affected just by updating the program, so what you’re seeing is unusual. Imported project templates are saved in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Scrivener\Scrivener\ProjectTemplates. If you navigate into that directory in Windows Explorer, do you see the NaNoWriMo template? You could try removing it, with Scrivener closed, and then restart Scrivener and try the import again with a fresh download of the template (it’s still available here). Strictly speaking the import process shouldn’t matter; Scrivener ought to just be pulling the contents of that AppData folder for the project templates. But there may be a problem with the file itself that’s preventing Scrivener reading it, yet Windows recognises the file exists when you try to save the new one.

First, I need to clarify–the Nanowrimo template was clearly marked Nanowrimo, right? I tried out Scrivener using the Nano trial and I thought there was a special template clearly MARKED Nanowrimo, but I didn’t take Nano too seriously so I didn’t look at that screen again. So if it wasn’t marked Nano and the template replaces/updates one of the existing templates I’d feel pretty silly. :S

Anyway, the directory you mentioned DOES have the Nanowrimo template file. Before I removed it the New Project Template has the following files available:

Getting Started: Interactive Tutorial, Scrivener User Manual
Blank: Blank
Fiction: Novel, Novel (with parts), Short Story
Non-fiction: Non-fiction (with sub-heads), Research Proposal, Undergraduate Humanities Essay
Scriptwriting: BBC Radio Scene Style, BBC Taped Drama, Comic Script, Screenplay, Stageplay (UK), Stageplay (US)
Miscellaneous: Persuasive (Lecture), Recipe Collection

Then I closed Scrivener, deleted the file, downloaded and imported a fresh copy into the folder, but the New Project Templates still only lists the above. So if the Nano template was meant to replace one of them above then it might be working (I didn’t check), but I don’t see anything new.

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to spell out exactly what I’m seeing. I don’t actually foresee using the Nano template much (until next year maybe), I just thought this was odd.

Thank you for all the detail. I’ve been doing some testing with this and there definitely is something strange going on, particularly with this template. It works just fine in 1.7.3, but as you say it’s not appearing in 1.8 as it should, nor was I able to create a new template from the project in 1.8. Another user reported the same problem with a couple older templates not showing, so I need to do a little more poking into this to see what’s preventing them from loading correctly. It should be showing as an additional template (clearly labelled “NaNoWriMo Novel”) in the Fiction category; you’re not just missing it. :wink:

The NaNoWriMo template is just the standard Novel template with a few tweaks to set up the project targets for the 50K goal and with instructions for compiling with the obfuscated text. I’ve attached a zipped copy of the project itself if you’re curious to see, but there’s probably nothing there you wouldn’t rather just custom tweak from the Novel template for your own work during the year.

To open the project, drag the NaNoWriMo2014.scriv folder from the zipped folder to wherever you want to save it, then after it extracts just open the folder and double-click the “project” file inside.
NaNoWriMo2014.zip (685 KB)

Great, thanks for the reassurance! If there’s anything I can do to help, let me know. Should I submit an official bug report to the bug-reporting email, or will this thread suffice? I looked around and didn’t see an official Known Bugs list other than the posts in the Bugs forum, so I’m not sure.

No, you don’t need to do anything; I’ve got it logged. And I did figure out that you can create a new template from the project, if you want it. You just need to edit it first, so it’s been saved in 1.8. If you add “2014” to the “NaNoWriMo Template” text in the initial document, for instance, that’s enough. You ought to be able to use Save As Template then and have it appear correctly in the Fiction category.

EDIT: Noted below, the actual problem is that 1.8 is accidentally ignoring any template with “NaNoWriMo Novel” in the name, so renaming it something else will fix the problem until the next Scrivener update solves this internally.

I had the same problem, and attempted the solution shown. But even though I followed all of the preceding steps, Scrivener still would not display the Nanowrimo project template. When I looked at the ProjectTemplates folder, the file “NaNoWriMo Novel 2014.scrivtemplate” was there. I noticed that the name of this file contained spaces, and know that sometimes programs don’t like spaces in names. On a whim, I renamed “NaNoWriMo Novel 2014.scrivtemplate” to “NaNoWriMo-Novel-2014.scrivtemplate” - replacing the spaces with hyphens - and tried again. This time, “NaNoWriMo Novel 2014” appeared as a project template within Scrivener, exactly as it should!

Spaces in filenames of template files therefore appears to be the culprit, and the solution appears to be to replace these spaces with hyphens. The mystery of the other missing template files, such as one for poetry, I believe, is likely due to the same cause and likely has the same remedy.

… Edit …

After looking at another post elsewhere in the forum, I am confused as to whether or not my solution to this problem is the only solution. This solution works for me, and sounds (kinda?) plausible, so I’m not interested in researching the problem further.

Ah sorry, I forgot there were two threads going about this. The problem isn’t the spaces, it’s the “NaNoWriMo Novel” part of the template title, owing to an adjustment in the 1.8 version when cleaning up from the NaNoWriMo special trial. This has been fixed for the next release, but in the meanwhile using any title for the template that does not include “NaNoWriMo Novel” (exactly as written, with the space) should make it appear. Thus the solution of replacing the spaces with the hyphens is one fix, but spaces themselves are not a problem in general for project template titles.