National Non-fiction Writing Month

You might have heard, but I hadn’t. Just like there’s a National Novel Writing Month:

nanowrimo.org

there’s now a National Non-fiction Writing Month:

writenonfictionnow.com/about-wri … onfiwrimo/

Unfortunately, both are in November, so unless you’re super disciplined, you’ll have to choose which to adopt.

Here’s a bit of the latter’s history:

I’ve always thought that, if I wanted to do a one-month writing blitz of non-fiction, I’d just cheat and pretend it was a novel. This makes it legitimate. Details at the website above.

Now if they’d just drop the “National” from both names, so those outside the U.S aren’t technically cheating by joining in.

–Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia: Caring for Children with Cancer (definitely non-fiction, but written over some seven months)

Brilliant! I write mostly non-fiction so this would play more to my sense of reality and therefore self-discipline. I might give it a go, possibly. Although I’m not so sure about the remit to “start and complete a work of nonfiction in 30 days”. Finish something? Moi? :slight_smile:

I’ve worked intermittently on biographical and family-history short pieces, a here’s-your-heritage collection for my kids. Some of it — inevitable with aging memory — no doubt is fiction, but it’s meant to be non-fiction. This could be motivation to organize those scattered snippets (the prose, not the kids) into a single coherent package. (Well, a single package, anyway.)

ps

LOL… next Keith and Matt are going to claim that code falls in the category! :smiley:

IMHO, code has always been, and always will be, definitely fiction by definition!

define fiction and non-fiction?

I would call code non-fiction as it has a historical context and it “lives” in this reality as a discrete entity. Like a corporation. Compare that to a fictional entity which lives in a clearly “not real” word.

But I’m in an argumentative mood so feel free to ignore me.

Why not just submit your non-fiction to nanowrimo at the end of the month? It doesn’t matter what the content is, just that you submit 50,000 words.

Well, according to Wikipedia, Fiction is the form of any work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is, invented by the author.

I think software code accounts for all that, and more.

But actually I don’t believe that what we call reality is a certain thing, so feel free to ignore me :wink:

Code create “real” data though. Ex: this forum. Real molecules are realigned to a specific magnetic orientation on a physical disk/memory location in a physical device in a physical building at a specific location in the time space we all occupy. So the code itself is non-fiction. I would say the same of the typed words on the page of a fiction book though too. The medium is real, non-fiction, for both code and books. Code is to compute platforms as inked letters are to paper.

I’m sure we agree that the ideas imparted by the medium can be fictional in both cases.

Even if we disagree, I appreciate the thought. been a while since I actually tried to solidify a “newish” thought like that. Nice to shake the cobwebs off the grey matter.

As long as the instruction manual is non-fiction, I’m happy.

:open_mouth: :confused: A rather sweeping statement, young Master Numpty! Not, ALL!!!, surely? I suspect my human has his own particular niche in the great scheme of things… or at least he thinks he has.
Fluff

Have you considered that your human may be fiction?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
This forum definitely needs a Like button!