Native v Wine

I’ve installed both the latest Linux beta (046) and the Nanowrimo version of the Windows beta on my SuSe and XP partitions respectively. I thought I’d try to run the Windows version under Wine and it works really well which got me thinking:

Pros of using Wine -
[]I can use a version that won’t expire on 7th Nov (yep I’m doing Nanowrimo)[/][]If I win I can use the discount code to purchase a full copy[/][]Compiling to Mobi (KindleGen) works.[/][]It works under Gnome desktop (I have to use XFCE with the native version).[/]

Pros of using Native -
[]It’s native and I prefer supporting native versions of programs where possible (in fact I don’t really run any other software under wine)[/][]Whilst it looks OK (fonts are fine etc) it’s got that feel of not quite fitting in the with look and feel of my linux desktop[/]

So on the one hand there are more reasons to use Wine than not, but on the other most of the advantages may well go away with the next (assuming there is one?) native Linux version.

Thoughts?

I’ve been mainly using the windows/Wine version. PDF rendering in imported pdfs is kind of borked at the moment, but I’m trying to fix that (I need a fontsub.dll, a fontsview.exe, and a fontext.dll, preferably XP.) It could possibly be a WINE regression thing, as well.

(running Ubuntu 10.04)
I found running the Wine version very unpleasant, and it looked hideous–but I’ve never learned how to make Wine programs not be ugly. I wouldn’t be able to work in that environment.

The Linux version seemed to work for me under Gnome 2 , except for the bugs. Are you saying there are fewer bugs under XFCE? Or do you mean there is a problem running under Gnome 3?

FYI: As I noted in another thread yesterday, I was told on the Nanowrimo site that there is supposed to be a Linux version put up sometime this weekend that won’t expire until Dec. 7th.

I ran these commands (found elsewhere on this forum) and they installed the MS fonts and necessary runtime components.

winetricks corefonts winetricks vcrun2008 vcrun6 quartz dotnet20

Once I’d done that it ran ok and looked ok (to my eyes). screenshots here

It worked OK under Gnome 2 except that the mouse pointer was offset a little bit which mean for some things clicking about half a centimeter higher and for things near the top of the screen e.g. menu items I could only access them via the keyboard. Unfortunately that’s a big enough “except” to make it worth using a different desktop instead.

I wasn’t the only one seeing this problem, see here.

I tried a few different non-Gnome sessions and they all worked but XFCE was the only one I could actually bear to work in, the others were too minimalist.

That’s good news. I’ll look for it.

Your screenshots look much better than what I got. I’m pretty sure I ran the commands you listed and maybe even some other stuff it talked about on the wiki or somewhere, but it still looked really bad.

Are there some other Wine settings that you have adjusted as well? The only thing I’ve been able to do to get a better-looking result is to increase the Wine font size to a point where it looks better but is then too big overall and words overlap. Could there be something else I need to do?

I didn’t do any other configuration. However it’s possible that my distro (OpenSuSe) came with better defaults. Or possibly it’s to do with the version - 1.3.12.

I downloaded the Windows Nano trial and played around with the fonts. Other than the user interface/menu fonts, the rest now look OK. Then assuming the Linux version is released, I’ll download that too. Theoretically, the same project can be opened in either version, so we don’t really have to choose between them (yet). If the Windows version turns out to be good, I’ll probably go ahead and buy it, since it will probably be quite a while before the Linux version is ready. On the other hand I wouldn’t want to discourage efforts to make a good Linux version using the excuse that the Windows version under Wine is “good enough”. Somehow when doing creative writing, I need a “beautiful” environment. My current tool, Focus Writer, certainly provides that. Wine definitely does not! :stuck_out_tongue:

Heh. Since we’re comparing screenshots…

By the way, if you have fonts you like, you can put them in ~/$winedir/drive_c/windows/Fonts. I’m also pretty anal about keeping my video card drivers updated (helps with Steam and whatever MMO I’m playing–Steam works great under WINE as well.)

Still looking for my XP cd.

I found my XP CD, extracted the dlls fontsub.dll needed and still no dice on getting PDFs to work. PDFs did display prior to 046, but I also upgraded WINE around that time. So I’m not sure if it’s a Scrivener thing or a WINE regression thing.

Anyone still using wine 1.3.29 or below to check it out? Worst case I could roll back.

I hadn’t even tried getting PDFs to work. Now that I have I can confirm it doesn’t work.

If I copy over the fontsub.dll from my XP partition it causes wine to crash when it starts.

Not a show-stopper for me personally but obviously it would be nice if it worked.

It did work! Out of curiosity, which version of wine are you using?

Hrm. I was wondering if it was a problem with wine. But if you’re using an earlier version, it’s probably something they changed in Scrivener.

To be honest I’ve only been using Scrivener a few days so I’ve never used any other version under Wine (or with any other version of Wine).

btw - does printing work under Wine for you? It didn’t when I tried it but then I wasn’t sure if it was a problem with Scrivener or whether I needed to add a printer to wine config somehow.

To be perfectly honest I haven’t tried printing from it yet. :blush:

I, too, have the “ugly in Wine” problem. Did the Winetricks thing, but under Wine, Scrivener still looks like I would need beer goggles to love it.

Someday I’m going to use the last half of that sentence not on a forum.

I use the Wine version exclusively, and I’ll tell you why:

• when I first started beta testing (last NaNoWriMo) they made it very clear that the Linux version was unsupported. I interpreted this as “any Linux-specific problems you run into will not be fixed.”

• there is a Linux-specific problem when you have a 64-bit distro – you need 32 bit libraries to get the spell checker to work. You can work around that, but when you do, the spell checker still doesn’t work correctly. Under wine, the windows version uses spellcheck the way it’s supposed to.

That alone has convinced me to stick with the windows version. I’m not going to run 32 bit Linux just to get a working spell checker. Windows Scrivener works nearly perfectly for me, and in terms of everything I want to use Scrivener for it does work perfectly. It’s not quite as pretty as the native version but I’m willing to live with that.