Navigation in the project / suggestion

What would be nice is a notion of previous/precedent pages: when you work in full screen on the coakboard for example, it would be good if you could enter in a file then come back to the precedent view without to have to display the binder and to choose the directory or file you were looking before.

I’d like this as well if it’s possible.

This sounds like a job for View > Editor > Backward in Document History (Ctrl+[ or the left arrow button in the left of the editor header).

Yes, indeed. But if you do that (maybe it’s a bug…) you go back to an empty Corkboard: it doesn’t save selected files you had in the precedent view…

It should take you back exactly to the view you had before (though the selections in that aren’t remembered), so for example:

1. Load Folder A to view its subdocuments on the corkboard
  2. Double-click an icon in an index card to open that document in the editor
  3. Click the “back” button in the editor header

Should return you to the view in step 1, seeing all of Folder A’s subdocuments on the corkboard. If this isn’t what you’re getting, could you describe the steps to recreate what you’re seeing? Or am I just completely misunderstanding what you’re after?

Hi,
No, it doesn’t. If I follow your steps:

1. Load Folder A to view its subdocuments on the corkboard > OK
  2. Double-click an icon in an index card to open that document in the editor > OK
  3. Click the “back” button in the editor header > No documents appear, Corkboard is completely empty. So I have to reselect Folder A to see something…

And you’re using Scrivener 1.0.2? What is the title in the editor header after you click the back button in step 3–does it give the name of Folder A?

Yes, I use the 1.0.2.
It doesn’t give the name of the folder A when I go back. In fact – I just noticed that – when I click on “back” button, it sent me back to the empty corkboard. But the name in the header is the name of one of my subdocument file – always the same: a chapter of my book (I precise the view doesn’t show this file - only the name of the file in the header). The view is the empty Corkboard… Well, to be clearer:

1. Load Folder A to view its subdocuments on the corkboard > OK
  2. Double-click an icon in an index card to open a document in the editor > OK
  3. Click the “back” button in the editor header > I’m in the empty Corkboard. But the name is the eader is not FOLDER A but CHAPTER X (not the document I even opened just before). And it’s always the name of this chapter…

I solved the problem. But that means there is probably a bug somewhere (or I did something wrong before…). I cut and pasted the content of the CHAPTER X in a new document. And I destroyed the other one. So now, when I click on a file on the Corkboard and I go back, the view is the FOLDER A. That works! I noticed a gauge of 50% was appearing in the “contaminated” CHAPTER X (like when you fix a number of words/characters), but I never did it for this chapter…

Hi,
I have to say (after a while of tries…) I don’t really understand the behavior of the next/precedent view arrows keys. For example, sometimes, it goes effectively to the precedent view when I click on the left arrow; sometimes, you have to click more than once. It looks like a bug to me.
Thank you.

Would it be possible for you to take a short screen cast of this and upload that or send it (if under 20MB) to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com so I can see this? I still haven’t replicated this behavior, so the visual might help see what I’m missing in my set up. If you could prepare your editor by first clicking in the editor and then choosing View > Editor > Clear Document History (as part of the video) and then going about your routine of selecting the folders/files in the binder, opening them the way you’ve been doing, and then using the buttons to attempt to move backward in the history to the previous document loaded, that would be fantastic. Also could you confirm what version of Scrivener you’re using (Help > About Scrivener) and what version of Windows?

Hi,
Thank you for your message. So I deleted the view history (I didn’t know that was possible) and since I did it, everything seems fine. But if I see the problem again I will send you details you asked.
(I am on the version 1.0.2.)
Thank you

Hm. Glad it’s working for you now, but it is odd it wasn’t earlier. If you do encounter this again please let me know, and then if you could get the screencast, that’d be quite helpful. Thanks!