Navigation suggestion revisited

I know I’ve suggested this before, and I know you said no. I just wanted to see if I could rephrase my motivation and make you see what a great suggestion it actually is… :slight_smile:

Here’s how I use Scrivener: Two editors, split vertically, i.e. one to the left and one to the right.
In the left editor, I have the outliner view. It’s locked-in-place, with the entire story outline visible.
In the right editor, I have the scrivenings view. Also locked-in-place, at the same level as the left editor, so that I have the entire text visible from first page to last.

Setting the panels up this way, I have the entire document visible in the right editor, which I love since it lets me scroll up and down past new chapters or scenes or whatnot to wherever I want to go in the story. It’s really a great way of having all of the story present in the right panel, using the left for navigation.

There is only one drawback: When I do scroll away to somewhere in the scrivenings panel, I don’t really know where I’m at anymore. That is a pity, because it would help tremendously to be able to click within a “sub document” in the right editor, and have the left editor tell me what the current document is. But as you know, in the left (outliner) editor, the selected scene will still be the one where I took off (i.e. the one I last clicked in that panel).

I know you’ve said Scrivener’s logic is working left-to-right, and I get that. Totally. You click something to the left, and that “takes you there” in the next right panel.
But it still would help tremendously if the left panel could just “update-to-reflect” when you change the current/selected sub document. What I’m saying is not that any changes should be made right-to-left, just that the left editor should be “correct” in what it’s showing. If you see what I mean.

Just to give you an example: Imagine, using my setup, that you’re writing a book on animals. You have chapters named dogs, cats and guinea pigs. You click dogs in the left panel, write some text in the right panel (which is now placed in the dog document), and then you scroll down to see what you wrote on guinea pigs.
As soon as you click inside the guniea pig document, there is no visual clue to where you are — or rather, there is, but it’s actually wrong. In the left editor, “dogs” is still highlighted. But in the right editor, the cursor blinks within the “guinea pigs” document.
And this, I think, makes navigation much harder than it really needs to be… (okay, with three scenes it obviously isn’t much of a problem. But with an entire screenplay or novel or thesis for that matter, non-linear writing gets just a bit more complicated than it should have to…)

I really hope you see what I mean, and that you’d consider this for future revisions. Scrivener is really great in so many ways, and helping us get a birds eye view of where I’m working would make it one step closer to perfection!

Thanks,

/LA.

(PS. Technically, I imagine the right “place” to do this would be the same moment as you update the panel header bar: As soon as the header changes, perhaps you could also tell the panel to the left to change what element is currently selected. That way, my guess is you wouldn’t have to monitor anything you’re not already monitoring, you’d just have add an action to when you’re updating the header anyway. Unless, of course, I’m totally wrong. I’m just hoping that if you still don’t like my arguments, maybe ease of implementing it would help me to persuade you ayway…) :slight_smile:

Hmm, I’ll think about it. I do see your point, and it is a very singular case you are talking about - only if the outliner or corkboard is set to affect the other editor and if the other editor is in scrivenings mode and locked - although the fact that it’s singular makes it a little messy and perhaps not very obvious.

As I see it, the logic you are proposing is this:

If editor is showing scrivenings
AND if the editor is locked-in-place
AND if the use clicks into another document within the scrivenings session
AND if both editors are open in a split
AND if the other editor is in corkboard or outliner mode
AND if the other editor’s corkboard or outliner is set to selection-affects-other-editor
AND if the document just clicked on in scrivenings mode is visible in the other editor
THEN select that document in the other editor and scroll to it.

All the best,
Keith

Lovely! I can see why you’re the programmer and I’m not… :smiley:

Just a potential adjustment, though:
I’m not sure both editors need to be open — you could also imagine a case where multiple scrivenings are open in the only editor window (or in fact multiple sub-documents in an outliner or corkboard view) but the binder is visible to the left.
That, too, could be a case where one would benefit from being able to see the result of a “changed focus” reflected one step further to the left.

Now, if that just made things harder forget I said something. :slight_smile:

/LA.

I pretty sure I wouldn’t want it to affect the binder in any situation - that really would be right-to-left then, and you can already use Reveal in Binder if you need that functionality.

All the best,
Keith

I knew I should have stopped while I was ahead. :slight_smile:

Then yes: Something like what you proposed.
Thanks for considering it.

/LA.