[NB] I guess I'm old--I'm not adapting to the new compile at all

I’ve been using Scrivener for windows for 2 or 3 years now and I love it, My laptop is a Mac, however, due to some software I needed to run. I’d really like to be able to switch back and forth between desktop and laptop and so I was over the moon when I heard that ver 3 for Windows would allow that.

But the new compile–I can’t get it to do anything I want it to do. I tried ver.3 out with a short novel, just to see what it would be like, and I can’t even send what I’m getting out of it to my beta reader. I’m literally sitting here going, “Thank heavens it’s only 40 chapters” because I’m looking at copying it over into the old Scrivener so I can get a usable file. I’ve searched the forum here and haven’t found anything that will help me make the leap from old Windows version to Beta. Am I jumping the gun on the compile function? (I thought I read something about the coding not being complete on that, but I can’t find it now to check the dates.)

On a related note, the two compile menus are so very, very different that it would be greatly appreciated if someone could come up with a walkthrough for people who’ve never used the Mac compiler, which everything I’ve been able to find seems to indicate is a prerequisite for getting a handle on this one.

Thanks. Love the software, best thing that ever happened to me. :slight_smile:

Have a look at this post, which references the Updating v2 to v3 Guide.

literatureandlatte.com/foru … =2&t=53378

It’s focus is Mac, but structurally Windows beta compile should be the same.

That said, you are correct in that beta compile is still a work-in-progress. That is clearly stated in the latest release notes.

HTH,

Jim

Thanks for the link,Jim.

I think the unfinished compile function is what I’m probably running into. The guide talks about things and functions that don’t exist in Windows 3, so I’m guessing that’ll come in a future beta. My fault, I suppose, for not throwing some lorem ipsum in and testing to make sure I could get a format out of it that was workable without a lot of tweaking after.

I did manage a workaround and the beta reader has the book now. And I’m still thanking all the powers that be that this was a short side story, :laughing:

I might make a copy of it and see if I can pull it up in the Mac version (I do have that, just have never used it because I couldn’t then come back to my main computer, which is Windows)

Hello! As Jim has so helpfully said, compile is not yet fully functional, though we hope to get there soon. In the meantime, there is an ability in Version 3 on the Mac to Export “As Scrivener 2 Project”. This was put in for exactly this sort of situation - so that you can work on your project between the most recent Mac version and the current official Windows version.

You can find this under File > Export > as Scrivener 2 Project in the the menu bar of your Mac version.

Hope this helps!