[NB] Overall Impression: I Would Not Upgrade

Respectfully, it isn’t “bitching” when it’s an accessibility issue. There are issues others have pointed out in better detail (since they deal with those issues, and I don’t) about Scrivener and the accessible Windows themes. It’s like calling someone’s need for a curb (or kerb, if you’d rather) cut “bitching.”

I do think once Scrivener gets the ability to load themes (as the OSX version has), that should help out a lot with some of the issues people have been having with it.

People should keep in mind that there are still features (for example, compile) that:

1. Gate whether Scriv3W can be used for production,
  2. Affect everyone, and
  3. Still need to be completed.

For features that only affect a minority of users or are merely an inconvenience, a little patience is called for until features that fall into the above category are finished.

At the same time, having the dev team be aware of the sorts of accessibility issues being brought up may affect how those missing features are implemented so that those concerns can be met with less effort/rewrite.

It’s always better to get requirements before you write the code.

But doesn’t the Scriv3Win team already have their requirements? And aren’t those requirements something akin to: “Bring the Mac version to Windows with minimal user-visible changes.”

After all, there is a price to diverging from the Mac feature-set and interface paradigm, a price we already have seen in the Mac-oriented Scrivener2 web articles that confused and frustrated some of us Windows people.

With that in mind, if Scriv3Mac already addresses an issue, waiting for and/or encouraging the adoption of the Mac version’s solution would be appropriate, or if the Scriv3Mac version does not address the issue or does so in a way you think inadequate, asking the Mac developers to improve Scriv3Mac, with the idea that the improvement will then be adopted by Scriv3Win, might be a good idea.

But if someone wants for an innovation in Scriv3Win that is not found, planned, or requested for Scriv3Mac (and I’m not saying anyone has or hasn’t BTW), I’d argue against it as a violation of Win-Mac compatability.

It’s not a “violation of Mac-Win compatibility” to support extensive customization of Scrivener’s appearance. Customization, including themes, is very much a feature of the Mac version.

Katherine

Update:

Scriv 2.9.0.6 has addressed some of the issues I mentioned above, and at this point I can work with the Scriv Beta.

Issues of usability still exist, and they’ve mostly been reported. If those can be adjusted or altered, and the bugs fixed, I’d be relatively happy with this Beta.