[NB]Turn around while walking on the head, adventures with Scriv beta under ubuntu ... [Solved... I hope]

Good evening,
Unfortunately, I have problems …
I’m working on Ubuntu and I’m using Wine to run Scrivener-Windows.
It worked very well but I had to change version :frowning: :frowning: and now there is a strange behaviour .If I run the “handmade” in a terminal, it works well, but if as normally I use a launcher (which allows me to just click on the icon), so it does not work anymore, except the first time and then we can not even launch it by terminal !!!
Has anyone ever had this problem?
below, the launcher code:

[Desktop Entry] Name=Scrivener Version=2.9.08 Type=Application Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/pierre/.wine" wine "/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.08/Scrivener.exe" Path=/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.08 StartupNotify=true Comment=Writer's Tool Path=/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.08 Icon=/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.08/resources/icon.ico

I go around in circles but I would prefer that it is the program and not me !!!

I don’t know if this is your problem, but in your script you have the version as 2.9.08 whereas the version is actually 2.9.0.8

:slight_smile:
Mark

Well, after a lot of research and “going round in circles” I think I have come to the solution of the problem …

In fact, my .desktop was good but it is the indication of the keys StartupNotify and Terminal that disturbs everything (I even found stringy and hyper-technical explanations about it in the documentation on the .desktop!)
The most simple and effective … is to put nothing at all, And it works !

I meditate this pretty German saying “The best is the enemy of good” :smiley:

In addition, I also understood that the version number to indicate was not that of Scrivener but that of the .desktop interpreter which is currently 1.1

The .desktop simply becomes:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.1
Type=Application
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/pierre/.wine" wine "/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.0.8/Scrivener.exe"
Path=/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.0.8
Name=Scrivener
Comment=Writer's Tool
Path=/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.0.8
Icon=/home/pierre/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.0.8/resources/icon.ico

I post all of this in case someone experiences the same difficulties,

have a good writing !

Recent news !
So I installed version 2.9.0.9 and we will see, in the main things tend to improve.
Regarding the launcher, it works to perfection, here below the code a little sophisticated …

[Desktop Entry] Name=Scrivener Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/pierre/.wine" wine-stable C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/pierre/.wine/dosdevices/c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Scrivener/Scrivener.lnk Type=Application StartupNotify=true Comment=Launch Scrivener Path=/home/pierre/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Scrivener-2.9.0.9 Icon=C4B9_Scrivener.0

basically we do not launch Scrivener with Wine, but we launch Windows with Wine and it’s him who launches Scrivener. Finally, very summary …

Hi,

You may get more help if you post the Linux related questions, in the Linux part of the forum.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

Regards,
M