Nested auto-numbered lists?

I suspect I know the answer to this already (i.e. “no”), but is it possible to automatically create a nested numbered list in Scrivener? For example:

1. Item 1
    [list]
    1.1 Sub-item

1. Item 2

2.1 Sub-item
      2.2 Sub-item

[/list:u]
As it stands, I can auto-create (Format > Lists) a top-level list numbered 1, 2 and so on, but when I press tab on any existing line, it prepends a bullet point. So I get:

1. Item 1
    [list]
    • Sub-item
    Rather than:

2. Item 1
    [list]
    1.1 Sub-item

Hopefully that makes sense…

I can’t see an option to enable this, so I’m guessing it isn’t possible, but I’m posting here just in case I’ve overlooked something.

Alas, you guessed correctly. The list tool provided by the system is pretty basic. I wouldn’t call it an outliner, but a bullet and number generator. It only has a single reaction to indenting (using the hyphen-bullet), and indented levels are not intrinsically aware of any ancestor’s values. By that I mean, a second level item cannot “know” that it is indented beneath a “3”, to properly form “3.1”. It would honestly be easier to just type in the numbers yourself. :slight_smile:

This may not help you for what you need, but it’s worth pointing out that Scrivener is in fact an outliner. We may think of it has holding folders and files in the Binder, but that’s just one way of looking at it. We can also just think of these as being rows in an outline—the fact that they can have thousands of words of text assigned to them is just incidental. The compiler can generate a wide variety of numbering options for these outlines, too. Again, you might just be looking for a way to type in numbered lists as text files, but in my experience a lot of people do that because they are used to only having that available as text from word processing, so I figured I’d mention it.