New chapters text isn't formatted with first-line indents

I have Scrivener 3.2.2 on Mac OS Big Sur 11.4. When I created my project, the default scenes (text) documents in the Manuscripts folder were formatted with first-line indents. When I created a second chapter, the scenes (text) that I create within it don’t have indents. I thought that indented formatting was the default for text documents within the Manuscript folder (and that this indenting is important for compiling.) I can’t figure out where the indented formatting came from in the first place, why it’s not appearing now, and how I can set this as a type of style that I can choose, or that will automatically be applied to next text in the Manuscript folder. (I don’t want the indents anywhere else in the project.)

It’s not possible to configure “first line” indents in the Editor, since it has no way of knowing which lines will be “first” in the output document.

The paragraph indent is set in the Format → Paragraph → Tabs and Indents pane. Once you’ve formatted one paragraph to work the way you want, you can use the Project → Project Settings → Formatting pane to make it the default for this project, or Scrivener → Scrivener Preferences → Editing → Formatting to make it the default Scrivener-wide.

Then, the Documents → Convert → Text to Default Formatting command will reformat existing text to the new default.