New Feature Request

Two items to consider please:

1. Others have requested the ability to use non-Dropbox cloud storage (e.g., iCloud Drive) for their projects. I would like to echo this request.

2. I would like to see more robust footnote / endnote handling features, without having to use a separate add-on product. Features like numbering endnotes by chapter and controlling where endnotes appear (not necessarily in the last section of the project). I have seen forum posts suggesting that a final Scrivener project should be exported, then footnotes / endnotes managed in another product, but this usually results in having to maintain two versions of the manuscript in two separate products for a period of time.

Thanks for considering these suggestions!

Keith has written rather extensively why Dropbox is the best. It’s written somewhere that I’m hoping someone else can find the link to.

I’m not so sure if this already a feature, but about you footnote/endnote idea, what would be nice is if the footnotes appear as footnotes, at the bottom of the page when the page is wrapped to standard 8.5 by 11 page setup. In the same design as MS Word. Again, I don’t know if it already does it, and I just don’t have to time to test this, but I thought to shout out my thoughts here.

:unamused: :wink: Presumably the OP is asking about syncing with Scrivener for iOS? For simple storage of projects and syncing between Mac and Windows versions of Scrivener but not with the iOS version, cloud services including Dropbox and some others, but not iCloud Drive and one or two others, are safe to use - details in the Knowledgebase on this site.

Specifically for syncing with Scrivener for iOS, the Knowledgebase has this to say:

"Currently, there are no plans to add support for syncing with other cloud solutions such as iCloud or OneDrive. As much as we love iCloud, it is not currently compatible with the sort of file format used by Scrivener…

…We will continue to evaluate other sync solutions, but we may also need to expand as a team in order to support them. The Dropbox sync code is thousands of lines of code, and we would need to replicate much of it for each sync solution we supported. Currently both the iOS and macOS versions are coded by a single developer, with two other developers working on the Windows version, so there are manpower and resource considerations as well as technical obstacles."

As a postscript - you could use some of the cloud services now considered unsafe to store Scrivener projects if before uploading you zip up your project, treating it like a backup (in fact, you could use Scrivener’s backup feature to do so.) It would then be a single file, and not subject to the ill-effects a “naked” unzipped Scrivener project could suffer using those cloud services. But of course you’d then have to download the zipped-up project, place it somewhere in your computer’s file-system, and unzip it before using it again.