"New Pages" setting for Small Caps not working with Headers

I’m assuming I’m SOL, but some of my chapters have Headers (defined by this style) before the “no style” regular paragraph text.

In the chapters that have no headers, the “Number of opening words to make uppercase” works great! But when there’s a header, it counts those words and therefore the first paragraph gets no uppercase words.

I’m not sure if there’s a way to set up a chapter header outside of the main editor, or to tell the compiler to ignore headers for the Uppercase option, and therefore I don’t see a way to fix this.

If anyone knows if I can any options, please share. Thanks!

Well, it looks like no one responded to you in the nine months since you posted. :thinking:

I have the same issue with Scrivener’s epub format, and have been trying for the last 6 hours to fix it with CSS in Sigil. I can’t get the code right because it’s been years since I’ve worked with CSS and that was for websites, not epub formatting.

Affinity Publisher uses Header styles to format, but I think you can skip the Header style and still use their software. Take a look at them if you’re formatting for print. If all this doesn’t make sense, it’s because my brain is fried from trying to get Scrivener to do one simple thing.

Hi :slight_smile:
First, as for the 9 months old original question, there are several ways to make it so.
A – You can have your header be the document’s title in the binder and adjust the section layout to include the document’s title as a header the way you want it to look. (Removing the header from the chapter’s text itself)
B – You can have the header be text in a separate folder-document that (this time with a different section type/section layout than the chapters themselves – so that the header doesn’t get capitalized) parents the chapter’s body text sub-document(s)
C – Or finally, you can capitalize the first X many words of your chapters by hand – having your header inside your chapter’s document, and switch off completely the capitalize function and document’s title inclusion from your compile setting.

Whatever option you chose, make sure that your headers are identified as “h1, h2, h3 […] or h6” in the output Epub if you want all ebook readers (including smart phone apps – which strips the Ebook of most if not all of its formatting) to know that your headers are actually headers. → <h3 style=“text-align: center;”>

As for the second Post, concerning coding in Sigil, have you tried using Sigil’s counterpart PageEdit ?

Hi, Vincent Vincent.

Thanks for the info, and I’ll digest it tomorrow for sure. Like I said, my brain is fried. :persevere:

However, being stubborn, I couldn’t let this go. Found a website with the right info:

I created a composite image of how I used it in Sigil, but it looks like I can’t attach the image or a PDF of it. However, the CSS stylesheet code is:

dropcap {font-size: 1.75em;}
alter {
font-variant-caps: all-small-caps; font-size: 1.25em;
}

The variations will of course have to be entered in the appropriate place(s) in the text of the html pages. I haven’t figured out how to do an across-the-board change.

The term “dropcap” is incorrect, because technically it’s not a dropcap, it’s just that it makes the first letter 1.75 times as big as the rest of the word.

Thanks again. I hope this info helps someone. :slightly_smiling_face:

And… ? Isn’t that what a dropcap is ? Some huge first letter with snakes and plants curling around it at the beginning of a chapter ?

Make that 8.0em, and you’ll have a HUGE first letter to your chapter (without the snakes and the plants tho :stuck_out_tongue: ). Not the same as capitalization of X many words.

:sweat_smile:
If it’s done right. But this is the next best thing.