New potential user with a few big questions...

Hi folks. I’m hoping that this works out!

Here’s the story:

I’m adapting a non-fiction book for a documentary film project. I’ve broken the book down into 1200 notes which I’ve put (for the sorting abilities and footnote tracking (I worked off of a digital manuscript the author provided me)) into a table in Microsoft Word. The table is 8 columns wide, each column corresponding to: PAGE and CHAPTER, DATE, PEOPLE, PLACE/EVENT/OTHER, SHORT SUMMARY, LONG SUMMARY, VISUAL CUES, and then a SEQUENTIAL NUMBER I can use to reassemble (when I sort the other rows by date, for instance) the whole thing back into it’s original order (which is the order of the book.)

OK.

So, I’m printing up most of these rows and slicing them up, and then manually arranging them on a corkboard, all the while boiling the info down to a manageble size.

So: I’d like to be able to use Scrivener to more or less do the final “brainstorm” push, and would like to know a few things.

Can I do a numerical sort of keywords?
Are there more data fields besides the “title?” I’d like to be able to put in the SEQUENTIAL NUMBER so I can cross-reference footnotes back in my (printed) database of my Word table if need be.

Is this software the right place to do something like this?

Word certainly isn’t, but I did it for the sort functions (as I’m basically putting the book “back” into linear order via the date sort function.)

But to rearrange rows in the table is a nightmare.

Basically, I’ve been searching for a working index card software for 3 years, and I’m hoping that this is it, but I do have specific data and metatag needs.

Any help appreciated.

No.

No.

No kidding. What you really need to use is a database for this sort of structuring. Filemaker or Panorama or whatever.

You may be best off using a plain and simple corkboard (or cork wall :slight_smile: ) to winnow your scenes down. Once you’ve ground through that, Scrivener has ample resources for you to build a screenplay though you’ll spend quite some time transferring and cutting and editing.

We would all like the transitions between the thinking and the doing and the editing to be graceful but you can’t escape grinding away sometimes.

Best

Dave