New Project Incorporates Old Project

I’ve been working on a project in Scrivener, call it “A”, since the beginning of November. Time to start something new, so I “Open New Project,” select the novel template I’d saved from the previous project, call the new project “B”, click “create”.

Actual behavior: New window opens, called “B”. The edit window is labeled “Untitled”. In the header window, the Draft section shows all of A’s data. At the bottom of the header window, “Untitled” is shown under the Trash.

Expected behavior: Nothing from A should appear in the header window for project B. “Untitled” should appear under Draft rather than Trash.

Scrivener beta 1.4
Windows XP, service pack 3, all updates.

Did you have the trash selected when you created the new document with in the project?

I did indeed, so I checked to see what happens when a: I don’t select anything, or b: I have something under “Draft” selected. Same deal, “untitled” is in the Trash (even though I deleted it before doing the new project), and I still get all the data for the previous project, no matter what.

Solved–Looks like the problem is that “save as template” didn’t work as I expected, and I managed to save the whole novel, not just the relevant formatting directives. Selecting “Blank” for the template works.

So how do I save just my formatting stuff so I can reuse it?

Best way to make a template is: when you’ve finished with your book, create a duplicate of the folder in Explorer, and then open that and zero out everything. Delete the book itself, any research, whatever you don’t want to carry over—then use that to save as template. The reason Scrivener saves everything in the template is that it allows you to set up skeleton projects filled with examples and starter files. It would have no way of knowing the difference between those types of files and book stuff you accidentally left in.