New project, same settings? Force a references page and Carrying YAML over

I started a new GitHub Pages project based on my writeup elsewhere here. I used the same format. (I’ve now duplicated it and begun to make changes.) A number of things have not worked as expected.

First, the YAML Title and Author re-appeared in Compile and I had to delete those lines again. Was there some way to have saved this info as part of my format?

Second, as I had no images (and I suppose no links?) I got no reference page out, which confused my splitter. So I put in a redundant picture, which forced the page out. What would have been a less invasive way of making sure there were references at the end of the compiled project?

Third, the only way I’ve worked out for building a new project just like a previous one is to delete all the content and save as, because exporting as a template includes contents, and basing on a template seems to do things like reset the YAML. Is there a clear, comprehensive writeup on how to really duplicate one’s current way of working into a new project?


Arrgh, that isn’t quite what happened!!

This time, when I dragged a picture into Scrivener, it compiled a direct reference:


rather than the indirect references I see in the other project, where it would be

![](foo) ... later [foo]: foo.png

Or whatever it is.

What’s making the difference, please??

I’m not quite sure what you are talking about here, I’m afraid. :slight_smile:

With regard to the title and author in Compile, if you are referring to the Metadata pane, you don’t need to worry about those - those are automatically omitted when a project template is created, and will be populated with the user name and file name of the new project when a project is created from the template.

I’m not sure what you mean about references - presumably that refers to a different conversation somewhere?

I don’t really understand your third point, either - what’s wrong with creating a template? Just make a copy of the project, delete any content you don’t want in the template, and then create the template from that. There is no YAML in Scrivener, so I’m confused about what this refers to…

All the best,

I’ll try to be more clear.


When compiling to MMD, Scrivener puts Title and Author in, per the metadata pane in Compile. In my template, I had removed them (prior to saving I think) and they came back in the new project. That and other oddities make me wonder whether the template doesn’t fully override all settings. If it does, as far as you know, I’ll look further into what happened. If it does not override all defaults, then I’d like to know what it misses out

Reference Page

The references page question is also re MMD. In my first project, written up here elsewhere, converting Scrivener to GitHub Pages, when I dragged an image into the project, Scrivener compiled two lines, the first as shown above with a reference to the image without extension, e.g. (image), and then a defining reference down at the bottom, e.g. [image]: image.png

That’s why Ioa and I copy the references section into every split page when we split our MMD files.

But in the new project, made from the old one, Scrivener compiled image as


And did not compile a reference line (because it wasn’t needed). This confused my splitter, which was counting on finding a reference page. So I’m wondering, when I drag in image.png when and why does it MMD-compile the direct reference to the file, and when and why the indirect.


So I answered that one already in my earlier reply. Those areas will be filled in with the current user name and the file name of the project. You don’t have to wipe them out before creating your template, because they are automatically omitted anyway, and re-populated when the new project is created.

If there’s a caption, or if the image is scaled, the reference (indirect) format will be used, otherwise the direct format will be used.

All the best,

OK, super. I want no YAML so ill just have to remove them every time I guess. No big deal.

I guess the pics I used automatically scaled due to being large or something. Anyway I’ve forced the final separator so as to be sure there’s always something at the end to use as a ref page.