New projects compiling to .mobi (kindle)

This is a strange one. I tend to compile to Kindle just to get a new a perspective on the text and my projects made before updating to 2.0.3 have no problem. It seems though that the problem is also cropping up in updated 1.x files.

I’ve made a new project, moved text over to it from a few different scriv docs and when trying to compile to .mobi I get a message that says: "The File ‘title name here’ doesn’t exist.’ Now, I tried making just a new blank document and then try to compile that and I get the same message.

I’m not saving over anything, just trying to make a new file.

Checked the console and saw no error reports.

Computer info if helpful (not sure if it would be in this case.)

Macbook Pro running 10.6.6
Updated completely

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I’m not doing something stupid. :slight_smile:

Eek. No, I’m getting this too, which is odd as nothing to do with the Kindle export was changed for 2.0.3. I’m investigating and will upload a fix or give you a workaround as soon as I’ve figured out what is causing it.

Thanks,
Keith

Ah, okay, all it is is that you need to set a title in the “Meta-Data” pane, and you should be good. I should put a dummy title in there in future if there isn’t one to avoid the compile failure.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Yup, that was it, should have thought to check there. The reason the other ones work is there was a dummy name in there, (the name of the template) but the new files were empty. Glad it was an easy fix :slight_smile:

Also, I thought I’d mention that when making a new document with the novel template the title page is filled in with your information, (as in, it seems to be your info, Keith). Not sure if it’s dummy info, but wanted to mention it just in case it wasn’t suppose to be like that.

Thanks so much for the quick response and help, I really do appreciate it!

Take care,

Arrrgggh! That’s bad… I had to correct all the templates and I forgot to hit Option when I opened them to retain the tags. Thanks for pointing it out - I’ll fix that ASAP.

All the best,
Keith

I am having the exact same problem. I do not understand your instructions for how to fix this, “You need to set a title in the meta-data pane.” I have searched through everything, and cannot find any field called ‘title’ that I have left blank. Please be more specific about exactly where this is located. Thank you.

I’m afraid I’m having the same problem. What’s more, when I close Scrivener after having done this compile, the next time I open it, I get a message saying Scrivener has recovered from a crash…

Mind you, I did find what I think is the meta data field for Title…but it already had an entry in it. And Keith’s name as the author, but KB, I’m not sure you’d want credit for my stuff… :confused:

That was fairly specific. :slight_smile: When you go to compile, click on “Meta-Data” in the list of panes on the left. Make sure you are viewing the full Compile pane with all the options. If when you go to compile you only see the “Format As” and “Compile For” buttons and nothing else, make sure you click on the downward-pointing disclosure triangle to view all of the compile options. Please refer to the Help manual for more information, as the various compile options are described in full there - in particular see pages 247 and 271.

The 2.0.5 beta available here gets rid of the problem, but really you should assign your own title in the meta-data pane anyway so it pays to know about it.

All the best,
Keith

Critter - if my name is there then it’s because you created the project from a template prior to 2.0.3 (my name was accidentally left in the templates prior to that).

What version of OS X are you on? If you’re on 10.4 then you should download the 2.0.5 beta from the Beta Testing forum. If not, then please provide as much information as you can, such as a crash report and what I need to do to reproduce the bug (I’m not getting any crashes).

Since I attempted the ‘missing title’ fix for the ‘file does not exist’ problem, I have learned that the real problem is with this version of the software, or more specifically, use of the KindleGen to create a .mobi formatted ebook in Scrivener 2.0.4. KindleGen only works on intel-based Macs (that have an Intel processor chip, not the Apple processor chip). When I tried to reinstall KindleGen, I found an error message in the Terminal app window that said, “Wrong CPU type.” So, it is not enough to have OS 10.5 or greater. I would really like to see more detail in the system requirements for Scrivener 2.0.4… words to the effect of, “Requires an Intel-based Mac and OS 10.5 or greater.” I wonder if the difference in processor type is also behind all of the problems I have had with lagging, unresponsiveness, spinning rainbow, etc when working in large documents or chapters.

KindleGen is an external application that Scrivener uses to make .mobi books, I don’t think it would make sense to downgrade its universal rating to Intel only, just because it optionally utilises a script that may or may not ever be used or even installed by the average user. Now, putting an asterisk on the Kindle export and stating it requires Amazon’s Intel-only script, that makes all kinds of sense.

The performance troubles you are experiencing are probably due to a lingering bug that is impacting a small number of users on both platforms, even brand new computers. The symptoms you describe, especially the periodic rainbow pizza wheel, are common to it. There are plenty of people using Scrivener at full speed on PowerPC chips, very old machines as well.

It appears that Kindlegen is, in fact, Intel only, and that’s why I’ve head the error I’ve been getting. I tried it on an iMac at work and it converted just fine, except that it turned italics into underlining, but then that’s probably something I need to work on myself in the compile process. I may yet try Calibre to convert an ePub format out of Scrivener to Kindle to see if that works for me…it will be a couple of years before I am able to affiord an Intel-based Mac.

Calibre does do a pretty good job of conversion; I use it to convert ePub books for my Kindle since it still cannot read that format. I’ll make note of this in the documentation, including the Calibre tip.