New text or new folder, is always a character template

Why is it that every time I add new text or even a new folder, The page is filled up with a character template instead of a blank page
Causing me to delete everything and reformat before using it and reformat.

It sounds as though the project was corrupted and may have lost the setting needed to identify what to open as a new text. The workaround is to set up a new project using the same project template you used for your existing project, then open the projects side by side and drag and drop your content from the old project to the new one (though don’t transfer the default character or setting template sheets.)

Thank you I’ll do that.

Reset the Default Template for subdocuments on folders and text files:

ResetTemplateToText

1 Like

Dang! I keep forgetting that the Default Template for Subdocuments menu item exists.

Thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes

No, didn’t know this, thanks for pointing it out!

I discovered this feature a while ago, but it’s so hard to explain (kudos for even trying it yourself), that I feared I’d just confuse people. I doubt it’s a well-known aspect of the document template feature though (and certainly not obvious), so you should give yourself a pat on the back for discovering the technique independently.

I took it a step furder and created SubSubDocuments. In Scrivenings you can write the text in these subsub-elements of scenes. They have their own Section Type and Section Layout to Compile them with NewLine Separators as one scene. Works as a charm.

1 Like

THIS

Stuff like this (a question gets asked, a reply has a suggestion, that suggestion inspires an experiment, the outcome gets shared in turn, that outcome inspires other experiments and sharing, and everyone comes out ahead), this is what makes the forums great.

It’s interesting you’re using non-printing (non-compiling?) containers here; I had the thought to try that very thing this very morning! Cool.

Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like