new texts being created with old synopsis

I have been using this Scrivener project since beginning of October with Beta version .35, and recently purchased Scrivener. I’ve got version 1.02 now. I’ve noticed two things:

  1. Sometimes when I create a new text it contains a synopsis of a text that I have deleted (and deleted a long time ago). I noticed this with the 1.01 version, and i’m not sure if it is happening with the 1.02 version. Is this a known issue? How do I clean it up?

  2. All the image files that I had dragged and dropped into my character sketches have disappeared. That’s plain irritating.

Is there some way to clean the project up so the deleted synopsis don’t appear? And it is multiple different ones. none of the text files that the synopsis were in are still in Trash, because I tried emptying trash to fix it.

Hum, this is an odd one. It sounds like maybe your project has gotten out of sync with itself, so new documents created are getting the same number as existing synopsis files in the project, but of course if you’ve deleted the document the synopsis belonged to and emptied the trash, it should have been removed from the project entirely. Are you doing anything like copying your project to a flash drive regularly and overwriting an old version? Windows has a sort of “merge” method of doing this which will result in only updated files getting changed, and ones that were deleted in the project folder you’re copying over (but still existed in the version you’re overwriting) will still remain. That could explain why some files are there that shouldn’t be, and why your .scrivx file thinks they’re gone and that it can reuse those numbers. I’m not sure though why it’d be just the synopsis file and not the main text as well, so it’s still a bit bizarre.

For the image files that aren’t appearing, were these inserted into the document text in the main editor or are you referring to having set them as the synopsis image? If the latter, it might just be that the synopses are all showing text by default instead of your images. Open one of these documents and in the synopsis header in the inspector, make sure it’s showing the image icon rather than the index card (text synopsis) icon. You can click the double-arrow button there to switch to showing the image, and that will affect the display on the corkboard as well.

Another thing that might help on the pictures.

If I open my .scriv/Files folder there are all the .png that I originally dragged and dropped. For example 21_png. But if I go to .scriv/Files/Docs/21_icImage.png is a placeholder image - outline of a person with a question mark.

Yep, I have been doing that. I wondered if that was it. The weird thing is that when that happens and I delete the text file, or update the file with a blank synopsis, it doesn’t stay gone. So it seems like if it happens again I could go to the directory and delete the synopsis by hand? Seems a bit dangerous, but I can back it up before I try.

I was refering to setting them as the synopsis image. What it was showing was “Drag Image Here”, not the synopsis text - so I don’t think that it was that I was showing the text. Could this have been caused by a merge issue as well?

Do you use the standard templates or did you make your own? I’ve encountered something like that when I made my own template and simply forgot to clean out some bits of the project I was basing the template on. It doesn’t sound like your case, though, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to check. :slight_smile:

I was using standard templates.

I thought about this overnight, and the following occurred to me.

Even though this is an artifact of moving files, the fact that my .scrivx file thinks they’re gone and that it can reuse those numbers violates the notion of unique keys. If the numbers uniquely identify files and their related synopsis etc. then they shouldn’t be reused.

The second thing is, if you are going to reuse your unique keys, then Scrivener needs to make sure that all the files are initialized before using them… So something like if (file.exists() == true) file.delete(); or (possibly) if (file.exists() == true) file.rename("new name"); to make sure the initial state is clean.