New user has questions about styles

Hi! I just discovered this incredible new world of writing software. After decades thinking that the most advanced program was Word, I feel like the first time I played Puerto Rico after having played Monopoly and Risk all my life. Wow!!

Anyway, I have 2 questions that I have not been able to find on the forums or the knowledge base.

1. Does Scrivener track dialogues and characters so that I can pick a character and see all their lines together?

2. Is there any way to apply styles to character lines? So that the taxi driver lines are in yellow, the lawyer lines are in blue, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Not out of the box, I’m afraid. But some methods to accomplish this can be set up and operated manually. You may want to read these threads:
literatureandlatte.com/forum/vie … 16&start=0
literatureandlatte.com/forum/vie … 26#p166362

Not automatically. You can do it manually, though. In fact, it’s one of the methods you can use to accomplish the previous request, since Scrivener will let you find by formatting.

Well, I have found a way for this. Using Script Format, and adding a custom element for every character works perfectly.

But I still do not know how to really work with that. It seems that I can not create a report or collection that shows me how many pieces of dialogue each Script Element has, or how many words, or even a way to display all the instances of a given Element together.

It’s a shame, cause I really love Scrivener, but that feature is key for me. Does anybody know if the Mac version has anything like that so that I can have some hope?

No, there’s nothing like this in the Mac version either, unless you break each element into its own document, in which case the same search and collection tools will work in the Windows version as well to pull your discreet sections together. Text from within a document can’t be abstracted, though, which is what it sounds like you’re after.

You could do something like this with a combination of tools, using distinct formatting for the different elements, then compiling the manuscript (maintaining the editor formatting) and using Word’s search tools to select all text matching the formatting of a given element, then copying that and pasting it into a new document. That would let you read through all a character’s dialog in one straight shot.