New User - targeting multiple output formats

Hi - I’ve just completed the tutorial and I want to try to orientate myself for the project I have in mind.

I’ll be producing a lot of blog entries in the coming period - non-fiction, somewhat academic style articles (Harvard referencing and all that as well as a lot of images). Although these have to be submitted as blog entries, in the end, I’d want to compile a large number of them into a .pdf for long term keeping, and possible printing.

I think Scrivener should support this - single source project and then compile to two output formats.

Presumably, for the blog, either writing in markdown and/or compiling to markdown makes sense
For the .pdf, I’m not so clear.

I imagine I have to:

• decide whether to write in markdown or wysiwyg
  • set up the compile format in terms of section types and styles to do the necessary presentation.

Am I on the right lines here and does anyone have advice of how to do this most straightforwardly ?

Oh - meant to add …

searching the forum I found some reference to assigning html header levels to styles, but couldn’t actually find where to do that

Yes, creating multiple output formats is the main reason why the Compile function is as powerful as it is.

Chapters 23 and 24 in the manual cover the Compile function in detail. You might also want to read Chapter 21, on integrating Scrivener with Markdown.

I would recommend deciding whether to use Markdown up front, as it would be somewhat tedious (though not impossible) to switch over after the fact. Both Markdown and the standard rich text formatting can be used to produce either HTML or PDF output. Markdown is a bit more powerful, while rich text formatting is a bit more straightforward. Unless you have fairly complex requirements – LaTeX is unsurpassed for technical typesetting, for example – it really comes down to which is more comfortable for you.

You can delay the rest of it – section types and styles and so on – until you’re actually ready to produce your output document. In fact, Scrivener is designed around the idea that writing and formatting are separate tasks. While in Word, you generally want to design your stylesheet up front, in Scrivener it’s actually easier to do if you have at least some text to work with.

Katherine

Great thanks - I shall boldly go …