New User Unwanted Headers, Document name on output

Hi, I am a new user assessing Scrivener to see whether I should use it to output my novel for publication on Kindle.

Folder management and organisation is simple enough. Scrivener looks and handles nicely. Great program. But I am concerned about controlling exactly what is output on conversion.

I just tried a test output using E-book as the output format. When viewed in Kindle Preview, it displayed the filename (I called it testdoc) on each page view in the top right hand corner of the preview. This aspect of controlling output worries me, but I do acknowledge that WYSIWYG is not possible with mutliple output choices.

How can I confidently control and predict what is going to be on the final output? I don’t want headers, footers, page numbers, file names, a generated contents page etc. done for me. I prefer to set these up myself in text files. Many thanks to anyone who can help with this aspect.

You can control it to a very fine detail during the Compile process. It is described in the manual and there are also books describing how to produce print-ready output.

By and large Scrivener doesn’t work on the basis of text configuration files, but it does provide you with a lot of flexibility in how your document will look after it’s been compiled. (The current Mac version has more than the current Windows version, but the upcoming V3 for both platforms has more control still.)

Essentially the control is on two levels, both available through the Compile Dialogue.

1. You can choose between various pre-set formats with common options already set up – e.g. for manuscripts, for Word documents, for ebooks etc.

2. You can customise any of the pre-sets formats, or create a new one from scratch, using the advanced compilation options features. I think on Windows you get to these by clicking the expansion arrow next to the Format As field.

Once the expanded options are available, you can alter most facets of the output and save your changes to a new preset which will then be available from the front Compilation dialogue. If the precise change you want isn’t obvious, then ask in the forum again – someone will almost certainly know…

You will want to read the section in the manual on this – it’s a very flexible and therefore occasionally complex feature – but to begin with, you really should spend an hour going through the Interactive Tutorial if you haven’t already. This will give you a lot of context to explain why Scrivener works the way it does and makes it much much easier to get up to speed with the program quickly.