New user, very grateful

Hello. I’m just going to add my voice to the ‘love writing, love Scrivener’ crowd. I’m a student taking an MA Writing course - it’s my worst nightmare, writing a novel AND getting graded on it! :slight_smile:

I tried Scrivener because it suited my organisational style, and I’m really enjoying myself. I’m still finding nifty things. I don’t plan well; I prefer to learn the story by writing and working on it, and it’s a pain to keep it together. Unless -

Truth be told I actually ventured on this forum to check that Scrivener had a thesaurus, because that’s the only issue I’ve had so far. I’m currently writing a large project that requires both general text and chunks of dialogue, so Scrivener is great for keeping it all together because I like writing dialogue in screenplay format. I’m about two-thirds of the way through a novel, written in Word, and I keep thinking how much easier it would be to find things in Scrivener. I’m seriously considering plugging my next full-length project into Scrivener from the start.

So, thank you. This is making my life a heck of a lot easier, and my writing life a lot more fun.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

As for a thesaurus, OS X comes with a thesaurus built into Dictionary.app, so you just select a word, ctrl-click and select “Look Up in Dictionary” and then look at the thesaurus part of the dictionary. Not perfect, I know. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

I recommend using the Dictionary widget in OSX as it also has the thesaurus integrated into it. Big time saver. The dictionary and thesaurus are both the pre-installed ones on your drive, so it’s not going online for the data and it’s pretty well instant.

I set-up the top right screen corner to invoke widgets, so if I ever need the thesaurus it’s only a second or two away. (Select a word, copy, hit the screen corner, paste.) It’s not as comprehensive as some thesauri, but it works for me 99% of the time.

Robin