new wishlsit/suggestions for latest (b2) beta

Wish list stuff, (and 2 suggestions)

1. Toggle/views:

I realize i am probably whipping a dead horse here, but …

My wish is not to have corkboard/outline icons change into anything radically different, e.g., change width, et cet., just a dimming, containing a small message (e.g., “toggle”) whatever, i.e., a change in the icon to indicate a temporary state of toggling. for example, when a text file has been altered but not saved, the red “close” button in upper left shows a dot in it to represent a temporary state.

I won’t bother you any more about this subject hereafter; it’s just that it would make the toggle function more evident while keeping visual appeal/toolbar simple. i think it’s quite important, esp for new users, and especially new users trialing it - deciding whether to plunk their money down or not - for one of the main actions (as opposed to, say, annotating or choosing position of pin in corkboard or using statistics) to be intuitive and user-friendly from the outset. Since most users of new software these days dive in and do not read tutorial/help/documentation (unless it’s very complex and unfamiliar, like tinderbox), it’s important for program to be as similar as possible to other programs of its ilk, which is, in Scrivener’s case, more a word processor (admittedly of latter day composite type with word processor/database/organizer/layout) than anything else.

The addition of tool tips “toggle between corkboard and editor” is great. Since it takes 3-4 seconds and will only happen for someone trying to activate tooltips, a visible, non-tooltips change in the state of the button depending on the mode might be more user friendly to the newbie.

I promise to drop this after your kindly reply.

btw, in keeping with jebni:

A whimsical - very whimsical “what ifâ€

Kind of. :slight_smile: This has been discussed to death, and I stand by what I have said before - I think the toggle makes the most sense. Changing the icons, even shading them is difficult and distracting given that the icon will change state when you swap focus between views.

Well, users will have to make up their own minds. If they opt for other apps, that’s really up to them - there are a lot of good programs out there, and I’m not really in this for the money. I want to make the app the best I can, but in a way that makes sense to me. If that doesn’t always work for everybody, there is a point where I have to say, “so be it”. I’m not saying this will never change, only that it will only change if I really, really believe there is a better way - and that will only happen once I start banging out my own work with Scrivener, not until.

It’s on my list to look into, and I’ve experimented with such effects, although they are a little distracting and slow things down. So, I’m not sure… We’ll see.

[quote]
I still have on my wish list a “save as” feature with existing filename in window as default so that one can rename file (e.g., “wishlist 1â€

Just a quick echo about Snapshots. It sounds like it does everything you need, all the way down to automatically dating your entry. I like to think of it as another dimension in the Binder. Instead of displaying document versions in a two-dimensional tree list, there is a third-dimension of snapshots beneath every document that has been edited. The best thing about it is how easy it is to use. One keystroke and its done. A duplicate has been made, date stamped, and sorted into a relevant location.

The main things it does not do is allow custom naming of snapshots, or a quick meta-data style note on why it exists. I do kind of wish something like that were possible. Currently, the way I am handling this is by inserting an annotation at the very top of the document, stating what the snapshot is for. Then it comes up right there easy to see when browsing snapshots. Unfortunately, this takes away from the spontaneity of snapshots. I’d rather summarise later, when I am not in an editing or writing groove.