Newbie to Scrivener: Kudos & Footnotes/Endnotes

All I can say is, “WOW!” This product rocks!

Well, that’s actually nowhere NEAR all I can say. I’m currently working on my first real book, a reference guide, and find that I’m needing to use a LOT of footnotes. I was glad to read that this capability is going to be improved. I like the idea of being able to see them in the Inspector, because it can get a bit cumbersome viewing them inline. Although, truth be told, I’ve created only a couple dozen thus far (only 18 more chapters to go).

Curious, when I export using “Compile Draft” Include Footnotes as Endnotes, I don’t see them in the .RTF created at export. Am I doing something wrong? If I select Include Footnotes as Footnotes, they don’t show up, either. I seem to remember the footnote thingie working once before, though. I opened up the .rtf in Pages and I saw them. But now I don’t. Any help would be appreciated.

I can’t believe how easy and straightforward this is to use. I was up and working in a matter of minutes after downloading it only a few days ago. It’s all explained so well, too, on balance (even if you do spell ‘organised’ terribly, terribly wrong all the time!) :wink:

Look, I don’t want to rain on your parade, but you simply MUST do something about forcing us to use Word or those icky other programs to “finish” our work. I don’t look forward to that task at all. I sure hope you can help alleviate that pain in the near future. You certainly have one heckuva product. I’ve seen nothing like it. But then, I don’t get out much, either.

All the best to you!

=D

Well that’s 'cos you’re opening the files in Pages, it seems. Pages .rtf import doesn’t handle footnotes, endnotes, images … blah blah blah … you’ll find this mentioned in a whole number of threads. If you must use Pages, the only way to get them there that I know of, which is frustrating but at least financially painless, is to open the .rtf in OpenOffice or NeoOffice, save it out as a .doc and open that in Pages.
And that is also a better, i.e. more reliable, route than exporting from Scrivener as a .doc, as Apple’s .doc and .docx exporters, that Scrivener relies on, have their own problems.

Mark

Hi,

Many thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated. Yes, as Mark says, unfortunately Pages doesn’t really play well with programs other than Word. It’s RTF import is shoddy at best, and it generally strips footnotes, or at best plonks them in as unformatted endnotes. Pages will also strip RTF page breaks, images and headers and footers. And as RTF is the best way of exporting from Scrivener, that means that there needs to be an interim translation program used if you want to work with Pages. As Mark says, the best way of achieving this is to export as RTF, then open the RTF in Word and save as DOC or DOCX, and then open the resultant file in Pages. Pages supports .doc and .docx quite well - but unfortunately Scrivener doesn’t, as Scrivener has to rely on the standard Apple OS X exporters for these file formats, meaning that footnotes, endnotes, images and headers and footers don’t get included in exports to .doc or .docx.

As for doing something about not having to use other programs - not much I can do in that department, I’m afraid. I don’t have the resources or the inclination to turn Scrivener into a full page layout program - and it wouldn’t make much sense either given that Scrivener breaks everything down into chunks and you can use a different font entirely for writing to exporting or printing. In a way, Scrivener is all about not worrying about the final formatting, so depending on your project it’s always going to be necessary to use another word processor for the final format to some extent. For projects that only require straightforward formatting - novels, short stories etc - it can all be done in Scrivener though.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

Thanks for all the support. Still loving this tool! I’ll make sure to do a better job of searching the archives before posting a question next time. :exclamation: --Daniel