No full-featured destination for SYNC?

Am I missing something?

Scrivener syncs to Simplenote - very nice, very easy, like it. Can edit on the move on iPhone or iPad.
BUT … It only does the body of the note and not the synopsis. So all those sections you’ve created in Scrivener with detailed synopsis are invisible when working on the move. So no access to planned content as reminder.

Scrivener syncs to Indxcard - again very nice, fairly smooth, like it. BUT … Indexcard only displays the synopsis and ignores the content of the document. So it’s only a planning tool, not a means of populating content into a project.

Is there a sync option where I get both elements of functionality in one program/app? Access (and update ability) for synopsis of document within a project, AND access & edit capability to content of documents.

I’m new here, I have done some searches, but I don’t see this aspect being discussed. Apologies if I have missed it in the volume of stuff here.

Cheers,

Tim

No, there’s nothing like that because there are no apps that would allow for it. Obviously, if we eventually create an iPad version, that would be something you would be able to do. But that is way down the line at the moment.
All the best,
Keith

You could always export your synopses and make them available via Dropbox or Simplenote–you wouldn’t be able to do a split-screen sort of thing to view both the document and the synopsis belonging to it at the same time (so far as I know there aren’t applications that would support that, but then I don’t do a whole lot on my iPod and don’t have an iPad where that kind of thing might make more sense) but you could flip in and out to view it if you needed the reference. So basically, compile all the synopses/notes you want and then dump that .rtf or .txt into your Dropbox or a Simplenote doc.

Another option which I can imagine is to write an AppleScript to snag all the .txt files from the Docs folder in the .scriv package–thus, all the synopses–and copy them to a specific folder in your Dropbox so that they’d sync. Same caveats as above–you wouldn’t be able to view the synopsis simultaneously with the document text, but at least you’d have it available for review.

Thank you for the clarification.

This might now turn into a Wishlist, but I won’t move it now unless you say so.

Given that your excellent sync process with Simplenote involves the use of header line ‘mangling’ to identify the document etc., would it be possible to extend this by :-

• on outbound sync to simple note, document synopsis is added to note with suitable start/end delimited and placed below header line (followed by document content as now)
  • on inbound sync from Simplenote, the document is updated in Scrivener with the synopsis section from the note being synced (overwriting for simplicity?) into the Scrivener Synopsis for the document.

Never wishing to underestimate the complexity of even ‘simple coding’, it still seems a viable basic approach to create a much fuller mobile solution without being dependent on third parties to code it in, and something which fits into current scrivener approach. And it remains under your control.

I guess it’s something I can implement manually, but that’s a whole bunch of error-prone manual work, which kinda seems unnecessary if it could be implemented into the current Simplnote sync process.

BTW love the concept of Scrivener and how it will help me get over writing tasks by being able to break it down and then pick off the bits as/when I feel the inspiration. Thank you for creatng such a wonderful tool.

Tim

Good idea but a lot of manual work and no ability to view doc synopsis while writing it, as you point out.

I’d prefer to go the route of having synopsis appended (pre-pended?) to just below the note header line. Just hoping that KB will do that auto-magically for us all, instead of manually !!

Not sure I can get AppleScript to do it for within a scrivener project.

Tim

Yeah, sorry, I started writing and got interrupted and my brain was all fuddled, and then after I’d posted I went back and saw that my response completely did not help you in the least, but then it was too late to delete since you’d already replied to Keith. :wink:

I’m busy imagining a scenario right now where you hack a sync via AppleScript, which requires a little extra work initially to write the script, but after that should be automated. Downside of course is that it involves writing into the .scriv package itself outside of Scrivener, so that’s not really recommended, and I haven’t tried this at all so I don’t know it’d definitely work. In theory it works but I haven’t thought too long and hard about it.

Even then, though, you still end up with your synopsis and your document as separate files, so it’s still not what you want. I’m not enough of an AppleScripter to know if you could reasonably automatically merge the files on export (to get what you’re talking about) and then separate them before bringing them back into Scrivener.

Thanks for the kind words!

I looked into, and even started coding, a general-purpose solution for something like this a while ago (it was aimed at exporting RTF documents that you could re-sync with the project, but the principle was the same). The trouble is that it gets very complicated, very fast. For a start, you have to pick delimiters between the elements that will never be typed for some reason by the user (which is just a law of averages, really), but then you also have to worry about what might happen if a user decides to delete some elements - for instance, if the user deletes one of the separators, or decides he or she doesn’t want the synopsis in some documents and so deletes them. All of this has to be handled by the logic (you might say that this should be the responsibility of the user, but a user who has his or her work messed up won’t feel that way).

That’s not to say it’s impossible - just something that is not trivial and would take a lot of extra code and extra work. I’ve therefore made a note under my list of possibilities and considerations for the future, as I don’t think it’s a bad idea but in this early stage of 2.0’s life-cycle there are a lot of other things that need looking at before I can start thinking about the more interesting and challenging coding projects again.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi guys.
I write screenplays and have switched almost exclusively to Scrivener 2 which I like and helps me on the way.
I was really excited when I read on Scrivener that I could export my projects to a little app called IndexCard which cost me 4.99 (won’t break me… just one beer less) and is kinda cute.

My deception came when I am about to take a trip and plan to take my iPad instead of lugging around a laptop. I thought I could use it to work on the road.

No way I can see for me to do this.

As explained in Scrivener, I make a collection of files I want to work on, created a indexcard file, turned on my iPad, synced to Dropbox, loaded the files onto Indexcard only to discover that only the titles of the files were transferred and none of my notes.

OK. No mention of that little detail so maybe it was my fault.

Back to Scrivener on my computer, open the files in my collection on the corkboard, go to the info panel and load all the text onto the card.
Then back to file>sync and go through the whole process again convinced that I had found the way.

Nope.

IndexCard only loads the file title and that’s it.

So where’s utility in my case?

Just blowing off steam here in case somebody else is in the same boat as I am and wants to have a beer instead of buying the IndexCard app. :smiley:

As explained in the manual and in the contextual help available from the “?” button in the Index Card sync sheet, Scrivener syncs titles and synopses to Index Card - this is well explained. Do you have any synopses associated with your text?