No "recent projects"

Since I moved my current working document (the scriv file) into dropbox, my “open recent” menu no longer works - there’s nothing in it. Same thing when I navigate through File > Recent Projects. I’ve opened and close my current document a few times but there’s still nothing in “open recent”. The only way I can find my document now is to navigate through the eight or so folders to get to where it is saved in dropbox. Is there a way to fix this? The way everything was saved worked perfectly before. I’ve only moved the file because I’m (still) trying to get the new iOS working on my iPad.

Did you change anything in the moved projects, so there was anything to Save?

Yep - changes made, file closed, go to “open recent” and it’s blank.

Have you updated Mac Scrivener?

The only two things I can think of is 1) if you changed the setting in Preferences to zero, or 2) if you move the file after having saved it so it actually doesn’t exist in the location where you last saved it. But even doing the last thing should only result in nothing opening, not in it disappearing from the list.

What’s not working with iOS Scrivener?

Yes I have the most recent update (the one required for iOS). Which setting in preferences do you mean?

I haven’t moved the file - literally just opened, edited, closed.

ETA to add - re IOS, just having trouble getting the sync to work. I’m still reading through the forum posts to see if I’m missing a step.

And sorry I just realised I’ve posted this in the wrong place. Should I re-post in the mac forum?

I found this thread over in Mac Technical Support:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34660

You may have already found it, and it may not be relevant; it focuses on non-population of the recents menu due to a bug in El Capitan. Anyhow, the fix suggested is just to open and check a particular folder; if you’re running El Capitan it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this. I’m feeling really dumb about this but that doesn’t seem to work either. It says to check the recent documents setting in General System Preferences. I’m assuming that means I go Preferences > General but I can’t find recent documents anywhere on that page. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I went to Finder > Go > Go to folder but there doesn’t seem to be anything that looks like a scriv file in there.

I’ve been using el capitan ever since it was released and this has only happened since I copied my file into dropbox in preparation for syncing to iOS. I’ve tried moving the file back to where it was saved previously but that also hasn’t restored the recent documents.

Any other thoughts?

You write that you have moved/copied “into Dropbox”. Exactly what do you mean? I hope you only mean a “Dropbox folder in Finder” and not that you have used the Dropbox app or the web version.

There’s a dropbox app?? No, I copied the original file (just in case) and saved it into the dropbox file located in finder.

Yes, you must have the Dropbox app installed on your Mac, as it is the app which monitors file changes in the Dropbox portion of Finder.

Number of “recent” files is set up in the general System Settings app, under General settings, at the bottom.

From the menu at the top - Scrivener > General > Preferences? I don’t have recent documents there.

ETA: Oh duh. I just realised what you meant. I’ve checked there and it has none. But it won’t save any changes.

No, the System Settings app, looking like a gearwheel. Not within Scrivener.

Thank you. I did eventually realise what you meant. It wasn’t saving my changes there. But I shut down and re-started and now magically it has 10 recent items and I can see my recent docs in Scrivener again. Thank you both for your help. I wouldn’t have thought to look there.

So now you only need to get the iOS syncing to work? :slight_smile:

I’ve edited the document on my iPad, synced and closed. Then when I open it on my mac, I see this:

The project at “/Users/kylie/Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener/xxx.scriv” seems to have been copied from another project while it was open and in use by Kylie on Kylies-MacBook-Air at path ‘/Users/kylie/Documents/Manuscripts/xxx’. Scrivener will rebuild its search indexes before opening the project.

Before continuing, please ensure that this project could not currently be open anywhere else, as if the same project is open on more than one machine, data could be lost. If you are not sure, you can choose ‘Make a Copy’ to make a copy of the project and work from that.

Hmm actually it seems to work if I close the file on my mac first. Is that what I’m supposed to do?

You should close the project on your Macbook Air, and make sure that the Dropbox app has updated any changed files to the Dropbox server, before you open it on the iPad. I assume you have a Dropbox icon in the menu bar? Click on it to check that everything is updated before opening the project on the iPad.

Edit: Yes… that is exactly what you are supposed to do. :slight_smile:

Brilliant. In that case, I think I’m now functioning. Thanks again for your help.

I found this thread from 2015. I’m experiencing the same issue. My RECENT PROJECTS shows up empty. The only way I can access my current file is to go to SPOTLIGHT and search. This happened after I saved a copy of my file on OneDrive Live.

Is there a way to retain a copy in DropBox or OneDrive Live and still have access through the RECENT PROJECTS option in the dropdown menu?

Val Pope