No.scrivx file found

I am testing out version 3.01 of Scrivener for Mac on my MacBook Air, having been a longtime user of previous versions of Scrivener. When I try to open some older files, I get this error:

“No .scrivx file could be found inside “FILEPATH”. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents”, then look for a file with the file extension’.scrivx’. Ensure it has not been renamed by a backup routine. If it does not exist, try restoring from a backup.”

I have tried looking in Show Package Contents and can’t find any extensions with the file .scrivx. My backups also don’t seem to have .scrivx extensions for these particular files. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Thanks

How old are the old projects? Scrivener 3 is unable to open Scrivener 1 projects.

Have the projects been moved since the last time they were opened?

Can Scrivener 2 open the problem projects successfully?

Katherine

Thanks for your reply Katherine. They are pretty old, they may well be Scrivener 1. I don’t have Scrivener 2 anymore so can’t check. Is there any way to upgrade them so Scrivener 3 can open them, or have I lost them forever?

Thanks

Carolyn

If they are indeed Scrivener 1 projects, the easiest way would be to download Scrivener 2.9 and use it in trial mode to upgrade the projects. You can do that here:
literatureandlatte.com/legacy-download

Open the project in Scrivener 2, tell Scrivener it’s okay to convert it, then close Scrivener 2 when it finishes. Then open the result in Scrivener 3.

Katherine

OK thanks, I will try that.