Not opening in Mac, everything missing in Windows

So I work of a Mac when using Scrivener. Recently I had to erase my whole whole drive. Before doing this, I moved over both my first and second draft of something I was working on.

Strangely enough Draft One isn’t opening but Draft 2 opens but is missing all the notes and has to be imported into my project and is missing ALL my notes.

So I’ve got a partitioned Windows and hopped over to that…My file opens over there and I’ve got a long list of the names of each section and all the folders/files inside it but there is zero inside it.

Sadly, I do not have a back-up, as my harddrive was erased so this is all I have. I mean I have the story but I had SOOO many notes, so it’s a bummer to lose it all.

It seems to think my file is an XML in Mac. And it doesn’t import or let me import anything.

Is there any way to fix this issue??

When you copied over your files, did you copy Scrivener’s automatic backup folder? This would be the place where it stores a copy of your project whenever you close it—so usually you can access one of those five (by default) older versions and revert back. By default it is in the Library/Application Support folder, but you may have set it elsewhere. I know you said you didn’t have any backups, but a lot of people aren’t aware of that feature and don’t realise they do have backups. So long as they were copied off of the drive before it was erased, of course. If you copied over your whole user folder then you most likely have them.

One thing to check, when you say it doesn’t open, what does that mean? We need to know as many specifics as possible, to help. Error messages, behaviour, anything could be significant. It could be a minor permissions problem—easy fix, and a very common problem when copying between computers and backups. I can’t really say though.

Last question: how did you copy the projects? Were you just dragging between disks in Finder, or were you using flash drives, Dropbox or something else along those lines?

Nope, zero back-ups. I had the files in Dropbox, but not back-ups. The actual files. So I have no way of retrieving it that way. I should have backed it up like I did my other file but i was kind of in a hurry and I could have sworn I did have a back-up on a flash drive(I did not :frowning:).

If I try to open it in Mac, I get this error:

[i]"The project package ‘Downloads’ has no file extension. Scrivener for OS X requires that the project package has the .scriv file extension.

In order to open this project, Scrivener will add this file extension to the project now. (This will not affect your ability to open the project on other platforms, where the .scriv package will still appear as a regular folder.) Continue?[/i]

And then when I press Okay I get this:

The file system would not allow Scrivener to add the .scriv file extension to the project package, so the project cannot be opened. Please check your permissions.

So it could be permissions but again, when I open it in windows, I get nothing. Just the titles of each folder/file but zero things in said files. They’re just blank.

Also have a file img of an XML.

That sounds like it could be a permission problem, but before going down that avenue: Is your project really called “Downloads” by the way? That’s okay if it is, I was just wondering since that is a common folder name used by many programs that download stuff—like say using the Dropbox web site to download the project. If you’ve only got the contents of your project, not the folder they are supposed to be in, then your first step would be to create a new folder in your Downloads folder, and drag the Files, Settings, QuickLook, Snapshots (you might not see that folder unless you use the snapshot feature) and the “.scrivx” file that were double-clicking on, into that folder. Now rename the folder so that it ends in “.scriv”. It should acquire an icon and start acting like a file again. Try double-clicking on that and see if it works.That sounds like it could be a permission problem, but before going down that avenue: Is your project really called “Downloads” by the way? That’s okay if it is, I was just wondering since that is a common folder name used by many programs that download stuff—like say using the Dropbox web site to download the project. If you’ve only got the contents of your project, not the folder they are supposed to be in, then your first step would be to create a new folder in your Downloads folder, and drag the Files, Settings, QuickLook, Snapshots (you might not see that folder unless you use the snapshot feature) and the “.scrivx” file that were double-clicking on, into that folder. Now rename the folder so that it ends in “.scriv”. It should acquire an icon and start acting like a file again. Try double-clicking on that and see if it works.

If it does, I’d recommend closing the project and then dragging it some place else, like the Documents folder.

It is not called downloads, so no clue what that’s about haha. It’s weird because the file name is the same…

Also I’ve tried dragging the actual file into my project but I just get a big file with the letters “XML” inside.

So I put my file in a new folder, renamed the file and still can’t open.

I get this errror:

[i]The project at “/Users/***/Downloads/Legends Valley/Legends Valley.scriv” seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.

Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents”, then look for a file entitled ‘binder.scrivproj’. Ensure it has not been renamed by a backup routine. If it does not exist, try restoring from a backup.
[/i]
The *** is the username(my full name, so I’m blocking that out)…But yeah still no luck. I also cannot rick click and go to package contents.

There should be a whole lot more than a single file. There should be many, possibly hundreds of files, it depends on how many notes you had.

Here is what I would do, since it sounds like whatever you have on the disk right now is incomplete. Since you mentioned uploading the projects to Dropbox, just install Dropbox on your computer, log into your account, and let it download everything. Once it is done (and it may take a long while, don’t try until the little status indicator indicates no activity), see if the projects can be opened there.

I guess that might be the problem, I have only this one file…But that’s the same for my Draft 2. I only have the .scriv file but when I imported that, it imported all my chapters so not sure what the difference is here.

My dropbox only has this one file…

If you log into Dropbox from a browser, you can tell it to show deleted files.

If you previously deleted a version of the file (which should have happened when you erased your hard drive), Dropbox should have a copy of that file for you.

Strange, I did that and I got a weird text document in it’s place.

Well to be clear, it sounds to me as though one of the files you have is the “scrivx” file, which is just the binder. If you double-click on that on a Mac in a folder without the “.scriv” extension you’ll get that message. If you open it in Windows, it isn’t so picky, so it opens it anyway, but without any of the project data files, that’s not very useful. It’s just the index, the spine of the project. One piece of it. If the rest is missing, there is nowhere else that data would be.

A project restore would be a whole folder, if you’re using the website to check versions, the Scrivener project will appear like a folder, just as it does on Windows. Not a single file. It only acts like that when using the Mac. You need to restore the folder ending in “.scriv” and all of its contents, not just the one “my project name.scrivx” file.

As suggested, it might be hidden, so browse with deleted files shown.

Yeah I only have the scrivx file…But it’s weird. When I do a word search in the project, the old words from the document most be found because the chapters they are in show up on the left. So I’m not sure if that’s just stored somewhere but it’s “finding the text” just not showing it…

Oh! That’s could be good sign actually. I mean, it’s not the best situation in the world, but that means your search index still exists, and that contains the full text of the project. Do a Spotlight (or Explorer if you on the Win partition) search for “search.indexes” and open any of those you find in a plain-text editor (TextEdit is fine). It will be a simple, readable XML file—all plain-text (it’s only meant for searching), but it’s content that you can refer to. If you find one of those that is fully intact, consider duplicating it and renaming the duplicate to “notes.txt”, and then drop that in your new project binder. Now you have all of your notes, and if you wish you can split them out into proper documents as you find time to do so.

It does leave me with the question though: if you have that file, why not the rest of the “Files” project sub-folder, where all of the data is stored?

No luck there :frowning:…Which is strange. I should have some search indexes because I do have a full project on this computer…so that one should at least show up.

Sorry about that, I had Windows in my head while I was writing that bit about searching in Spotlight—Spotlight won’t find these files if they are inside a valid Scrivener project folder, it hides package contents from the results, so that’s why you didn’t find even the full project’s copy.

So can you describe exactly what steps you are taking (including what operating system you are using!) when you say you can load the “.scrivx” and search for content (not just titles and synopsis)? When you load this file (I’m assuming in Windows, since you can’t load a bare .scrivx on the Mac like that without the error message about the parent folder not ending in .scriv), what else is around the file? Is there not a folder called “Files”?