Not sure if it is a bug, but...[ADDRESSED]

it is irritating at least to me.

Open Scrivener, open a previous project and work on that for a while. Then want to start a new project, so click on Close Project and Scrivener shuts down completely. Why can’t it stay open and start a new project?

Driving me nuts, because I’m always working on more than one thing at a time.

Kat

If you go into Edit>Options, in the General tab you can check the box to show the startup window when no projects are open. Select that and then when you close your open projects, Scrivener won’t quit but will bring up that template manager window for you to create a new project or open a different one.

Isn’t that standard Windows behaviour, though (excepting the startup window) - I thought applications always quit on Windows when the last window was closed?
Best,
Keith

This is correct. At first we implemented the functionality as per the Mac platform so that when users closed out on a Window the template dialog appeared. Windows users complained - it was confusing, they were expecting to quit the application but Scrivener wouldn’t die.

So, we added the option listed above so that a user can set the behaviour they want - this was the only way we could appease everyone.
Lee

Thanks, I’ll do that!

Well, yes and no. If I close the last window, then the program will close. But, in most Windows programs that can open multiple documents I have come across, there are two sets of of the standard “minimize/ maximize/close” buttons: one for the window, and one for the document (In some cases there is only the “close” button for the document). I can close just the document and leave the window open.

This screen shot of Open Office shows an example of what I am talking about. I have seen this in everything from WordPerfect, Word, Excell, and Lotus to the software we use to pack out product at work:

Just FYI, Lunarclipper

There’s a difference, though, in that those different documents are opening within the one window. In Scrivener, you have separate project windows, with all the documents and whatnot pertaining to that project opening within the window. So different projects aren’t quite like different documents–their window is the casing, the way the Open Office window houses the multiple documents you open. Closing the project window is thus most closely aligned with closing the whole Open Office window, not the inner documents. To have something that matched that behavior, you’d need another frame around the project(s).

From a visual standpoint, I suppose that could mean the window title bar’s min, max, close buttons related to the outer framework (Scrivener as a program) and that there could then be a small “x” button in the far right of the menu bar, similar to your image, but coding-wise I think that’s a whole other ball game.

Interesting. I see what you mean. I opened all of the files in one directory in OO. It opened each one in its own window. (I can’t find it now, but I believe I have an option checked to open each document in its own window) None of them had that little x until I closed all but one. When I had only one open, there was the x. Clicking it took me to the OO main menu that lets you select which application in the suite you wish to work with. (Cool, thanks)

What are you using to write your code? I know that Visual C and Visual Basic would simplify that aspect of programming: every thing in the interface can be set up by dragging it from a pallet to the interface, or selecting a tool (much like in a drawing program). Coding mouse clicks and key actions to the controls isn’t difficult, especially for predefined functions like closing something.

I haven’t seen it, but I would assume that other companies are doing something similar to Microsoft in regard to their compilers. (anyways, just a little curious now) :slight_smile:

Well, in my experience with Windows, there’s a difference between “Close” and “Exit”. On the File menu, you’ve got both options… when I select “Close Project” (or equivalent) in most other Windows programs I use, it closes the current file, but keeps the application open with a blank (or New) project. Only when I select “Exit” do I expect the whole application to go away.

Having the New Project window stay open confused me at first, but now that I understand why, I guess it works well enough.

Well, I’m not writing the code; Lee is. :wink:

In the end though, I don’t see how this really gets you to anything different than what you can achieve now by having the startup menu display when no projects are open. When you hit the “x” to close the last project window, the program template manager window appears, letting you open another project or create a new one. Changing the design so that there was a different “x” to hit in the last window seems more confusing, really, and either way, you’d end up at the same startup window–only it would need to take up the entire window (and having it full screen would be pretty silly), resize the window (which you don’t really want applications to do for you), or just somehow be another window inside the window…or else just hover over an empty project window. None of that seems more elegant than the current solution, to me at least.

The other complication with closing and leaving a new/blank project is the way Scrivener works. It’s not just a single document, it’s an entire folder with subfolders and text documents and xml files and so on, with auto-save running as soon as you go. So you have to create the project in a location first, as you go through with the template picker even when choosing “blank”. It wouldn’t work to just have a new “blank” project because it needs to exist somewhere from the get-go, not just hang out as a temporary file until you click “save”.

So maybe what you really want is just to set the “show startup menu when no projects are open” option as the default for the install. :wink: But it’s not that big a deal since you only have to change it once.