note area disappeared

I am new to this software and just spent a while compling lots of notes in the “note” area and now the note area had totally disappeared. Anyone have any clue what happened, and how I can get it back? I can see the notes when I do a search but I can’t get them to show up again in the left margin.

Do you mean the right side? The area where Document Notes are displayed is actually in the right sidebar (margin?), the Inspector, which can be toggled with the blue ‘i’ button.

On the other hand, if you’re calling regular old text documents “notes”, then maybe you just need to cancel your search? Have you tried deleting all of the search text, or just clicking the little ‘x’ button in the search tool?

If all of this is mysterious, it might be a good time to go through the Interactive Tutorial in the Help menu. It goes over searching, inspectors, binders, documents, notes—all of this.

OK, let me see if I can explain this more clearly:
On the left side I see a column that starts with “manuscript.” below that are some chapter folders. Below that used to be an icon that was like a blue notebook, called “notes” and below that is one called “research.” That “note” one used to always show in that left column. I must have inadvertently hit something that made it go away. Now I can only locate it and its contents, if I do a search on “notes.” So my stuff in there is not lost. But I’d like to be able to revert to how it was originally where it showed in that left column.

You might try this: do a search that shows at least one of your “notes”. Select that document on the search results and then choose the “Reveal in binder” option from the right mouse button menu. That will tell you where you document really is. It’s likely you have inadvertently moved into other folder, or perhaps the trash.

Hope this helps!