Notes

I was wondering it it is possible to make the notes panel expandable to the right - with a pull bar, as in Copywrite - in the SUPPORTING MATERIALS view

AND expandable to the right and up and down in the META DATA view so that I could expand the SYNOPSIS.

REASON: I use the SYNOPSIS or NOTES to lay out a full chapter outline - a sort of scene by scene map. This enables me to work on the draft and have it scroll while still having my chapter outline in front of me in the Notes or Synopsis panel. BUT, I need to be able to see all of it.

If this has already been tackled - apologies. The various forums (fora?) are getting a bit unwieldy to read through every time a small idea presents itself as it arises from day to day use of Scrivener.

I’ve tried using the search function, but it tells me I can’t do a search so soon after already having done a search - when I am doing my first search. It’s a bit like memories of being a kid and my father whacking me, and me saying, ‘What was that for?’, and him saying, ‘For whatever you are going to do next.’

Some ways of doing what you want:

Strangely, the largest notes fields in Scrivener is in full screen. After entering full screen, open up the Inspector HUD, and resize it as large as you please.

Regarding the use of an outline, have you given any thought to using Scrivener’s Binder itself for this task? I ask, because it is uniquely capable of swiftly creating outlines in Outliner mode. You can create your entire chapter structure, entering short notes about what each scene will be about in the Synopsis field, and then go back and flesh out the chapter scene by scene in the main editor. The outline can be tracked and manipulated in the Binder as you write. It just struck me that you are using a text field to handle an outline, when you have a pretty decent outliner available on the other side of the window!

In the end, if you prefer to have everything in larger documents, rather than split up by scene, the combination of all your pieces are a simple Cmd-Opt-M away.

del

AmberV, thanks for the speedy reply. Yes. I was well aware of that. Sorry, my request must have not been as clear as I had hoped it would be.

1. I use a 24 inch monitor (it is listed in my profile) and wanted to expand the INSPECTOR NOTES panel to the left (or right). You cannot expand it as much as you please to the left, even in full screen mode. It has a limited width. I was asking for a solution such as the one used by CopyWrite.

2. The SYNOPSIS is even more limited. Again, I was asking for a solution such as the one used by CopyWrite. It uses a drag-able right side bar, and a drag-able, resizable lower bar (as in NOTES).

The Inspector’s width in either Notes (INSPECTOR > SUPPORTING MATERIALS > NOTES) and (INSPECTOR >META DATA > SYNOPSIS) is not adequate as it is. However, all that is required is a drag-able - resizable bar as used in CopyWrite. Probably worth having a look at CopyWrite at this function. It is an attractive and easy feature to use.

1. Yes, I have thought of BINDER > OUTLINE. It is not satisfactory. As I stated in my previous request post - "I lay out a full chapter outline - a sort of scene by scene map. This enables me to work on the draft and have it scroll while still having my chapter outline in front of me in the Notes or Synopsis panel. BUT, I need to be able to see all of it. "

The BINDER > OUTLINE solution that you suggest removes my work from view just at the very moment I am trying to see it in relation to the chapter outline.

You say, "You can create your entire chapter structure, entering short notes about what each scene will be about in the Synopsis field, and then go back and flesh out the chapter scene by scene in the main editor. "

That was PRECISELY why I made the small request and worded it so carefully. It is EXACTLY what I do NOT want to do. I want the work AND the chapter outline on the screen at the same time - side-by-side in a resizable panel that I can make my own resizing decisions about.

1. I totally miss the point about Cmd-M. I thought Cmd-M fired the application window back to the DOCK? Not much use to me there.

Finally, I agree totally with Maria. This board is starting to lock out suggestions. People are just not daring to contribute. NOT REALLY A SMART MOVE. I wonder why. My request was intended for Keith. That is why I posted it on the Wish List thread. I would still like to hear if he thinks it is possible.

Mr. Lighting. I am just another user around here, so generally, when I respond to a feature request, I am offering work-arounds or ideas to find a similar effect until and if Keith decides to use the request. I am well aware that the things I suggested are not precisely what you mentioned.

It has been a while since I have used Copywrite, but I am fairly certain it uses drawers to achieve this effect. While you and I have a lot of space on our screens, a lot of people are on laptops, or have smaller screens, and for them drawers can cause a headache for a number of UI reasons, some obvious, some subtle. It might be that the sidebar concept can be adjusted to grow larger than it does, though. I’m not sure about that.

Then I do not really understand what you are getting at. It sounds as if you are not using the Binder much if at all during these sessions, and if so, full screen would be useful as it has the larger notes field.

But, if anything the Binder is more persistent, visually, than a notes field as it is not tied to any group or document. Being that it is a project level tool, it is always there no matter what part of the draft you are editing. Thus, your detailed outline is always visible. Another idea: You could create your outline in a dedicated scene document, split vertically, resize it to whatever width pleases you, and then do all of your work in the other split. This has the advantage of being “global” to the project. Whereas an outline in a note is specific to one group or document, and not immediately visible from the project Binder.

Sorry if I am still not understanding precisely what you are trying to accomplish.

Oh, and I typed the shortcut wrong, Cmd-Opt-M to merge when you no longer need a bit of outline structure, but that is only useful if you do a lot of outlining using Scrivener’s outliner features.

I cannot speak for “the board,” though I have heard it said that despite a few additions here and there, Scrivener is technically at a feature freeze. Most of the fundamental concepts where hashed out nearly a year ago when SG was being developed. As I said, I am just trying to be helpful and come up with ideas using the current interface that might benefit you in the present. If you would rather have an exclusive dialogue with Keith, and have nobody else ever talk to you on the forum, I will keep that in mind. Forums are generally for open discussion, as a basic premise though, which is why I’ve never felt any compulsion to withhold comments.

Lord Lightning:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your comment, but it sounds to me as if Scrivener can already do what you ask.

You want the outline and the text you’re working on available at the same time, correct?

Have you tried the split feature, and put the outline in one pane and the text you’re working on in the other pane? If you want all the text from the outline in the same pane, you can use “edit scrivenings” to get multiple different pieces of text in one editing pane, too.

-janra