'Novel With Parts' compiling everything as Chapters

I’m using 2.0.5 on a Mac running 10.6.7. I’ve created a project using the “Novel With Parts” template, and I’ve built my Draft around that idea – I’ve put the folders for each Part on the same level as the Title Page, then put in subfolders for chapters, and scenes inside those chapter folders. However, when I run a compile, either using the Custom preset or the “Novel (Standard Manuscript Format)” presets, it lists each Part as a Chapter, so Part One becomes Chapter One (with no text following), and then on the next page my first chapter is listed as Chapter Two, and so on down the line.

I must be missing something that gets the Parts to number independently from the Chapters, but I can’t imagine what it is. I even took the time to change the labels of all the chapter folders to “Chapter,” the Scene files to “Scene,” and created a “Part” label for the Parts.

Any or all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks as always!

The problem is that you changed the preset - the novel with parts template has its own preset, so if you change it then it will be lost. Not a problem, though, here’s how to get it back:

  1. Create a new project from the Novel with Parts template (you can delete this again in a moment).

  2. Go to File > Compile.

  3. Click on the “Save…” button in the bottom-left of the Compile sheet.

  4. Name it something like “Novel (with Parts)” and save.

  5. Close and trash this empty project.

  6. Open the project you want to compile.

  7. Go to Compile.

  8. Choose the presets you just created, which are the ones set up for Novel (with Parts).

Essentially there are only a few presets available in the “Presets” pop-up because I didn’t want to overload it, so the templates have their Compile settings set up especially.

I’m improving the way presets work for 2.0.6.

All the best,
Keith

Perfect. Thanks! And keep up the great work.

Glad it helped - and thanks for the kind words!