Number of .RTF files

I just bought Scrivener for Windows last night. There is one detail that seems like it would be useful but can’t figure out how to do.

My question is this: Let’s say I have a project. And I create a “new text.” On my hard drive it will save as a number and the extension of .rtf. For an example it might have the name 123.rtf. In Scrivener is there some way of knowing what that name is? So I’m in Scrivener and I create a “new text” and it saves it to the hard drive with a name that is “number.rtf.” Is there some way to know that number without going to the hard drive and hunting for it?

The reason I ask is because I’ve been reading how I can save my Scrivener projects to my cloud folder on my hard drive, it will then sync to the cloud, then later I can edit the file on my Android devices using a text editor, if I need to. I’m trying to find a easy way to learn the name of the specific rtf file I need to edit.

thanks. :open_mouth:

Hi Jim

I believe the developers make these names a bit elusive in order to discourage direct modification of Scriv’s files outside the program. A preferred approach to offline editing is to drag your target documents from Scrivener’s binder into a Windows folder. That’ll create RTF files with names that resemble the docs’ titles. Then you can edit away, and import the modified docs into Scrivener when you’re done.

However, if you’re intent on determining a doc’s numeric ID, try alt-dragging it from the Binder into Scriv’s editor. That creates a Scrivener Link. Select the link and click Edit - Link to see the ID.

Rgds – Jerome

Look at the project.scrivx file in the .scriv directory for your project. It at little intimidating if you don’t know XML, but the ID in the BinderItem tag is corresponds to the RTF file number.

Thing is, if you edit those files directly, you risk ending up with them out of sync with the binder, indexing and other essential files and then you’ll be posting here saying “Help, my Scrivener project won’t load,” or “All the text I entered recently is missing … please help.”

It’s really not a good idea.

Mr X

Import/Export works around this, though, doesn’t it?

Yes, it does; but the OP seemed to be wanting to identify the individual RTFs to edit them directly.

Mr X