Numbering during compile doesn't work

If I have the following text:

This is a forward reference - ref <$n#fwd:ref> And this should refer to ref <$n:fwd:ref>
Forward reference doesn’t work, and ref <$n:fwd:ref> now gets incremented on the iPad but not on the Mac.

On the Mac, I get the expected output on compile - all end up being the same reference number (1):

This is a forward reference - ref 1 And this should refer to ref 1
Forward reference doesn’t work, and ref 1 now gets incremented on the iPad but not on the Mac.

On the iPad, I get:

This is a forward reference - ref <$n#fwd:ref> And this should refer to ref 1
Forward reference doesn’t work, and ref 2 now gets incremented on the iPad but not on the Mac.

Forward references don’t work at all, and every cross-reference count gets incremented instead of working as a cross-reference number.

Other than that, I love the iPad version. Great work Keith!

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Forward references are not supported on iOS. The iOS version’s compile feature is not as fully-featured as on the Mac, and it only supports basic auto-numbering and tagged numbering such as <$n>, <$rst> and <$t:keyword>. A full list of what is supported can be found if you create an Appearance in the Appearances list, then tap the question mark in the Appearance Editor.

If you’re working between devices and have complex Compile requirements, the macOS version is still going to be your go-to for Compile. iOS Compile provides a lot of features and customisation, but is mainly there either for users who use the iOS version exclusively or who just want a quick draft. It will never be able to do everything macOS’s Compile can do.

All the best,
Keith

Ok, thanks Keith. That’s a shame as I write a lot of technical documentation and use the references all over the place. I guess I’ll just use them and only compile on the Mac. Or will that cause problems?

Cheers
Mike

P.S. Great job on the app.

No, that’s definitely the best solution.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith