Numptie Newbie and Non-fiction

Hi, I’ve just downloaded a trial version, looked at the interface and thought about running away!

I am trying to write a non-fiction book with short sentences as chapter headings, an introduction at the front plus a table of contents created from the chapter headings.

Please would some kind (and patient person) out there point me in the right direction on how to create this masterpiece :smiley:

Many thanks in advance

Roise

Don’t run away – Scrivener will easily do what you want it to (it’s what it’s designed for!), but it’s a very flexible program and there are certain basics you need to understand before you can get the best out of it.

Fortunately there’s a way to do this easily. Go to the Help Menu and choose ‘Interactive Tutorial’ (or a similar name – it’s obvious). Follow the instructions to save the project, then work your way through it. It will only take a hour or two, and at the end you’ll be able to see the sort of thing you’ll be able to achieve – you’ll save yourself a lot of time by going through it and it means you will have the right vocabulary to ask meaningful questions on this forum.

Once you’ve been through that, come back and ask any questions you may have – this is a very friendly forum and people will be happy to help.

(Don’t be daunted by having to look at the tutorial – Scrivener is actually very simple to use for the most part and you’ll soon be up and running — but it is based round a few concepts which are important to understand, otherwise you’ll be fighting the program and will not use it efficiently.)

Thanks for that.

I’ve managed to find the cork board and now have a nice set of texts pinned on it and all labelled as chapters.

I’ve only been trawling around it for a short time but seeing all my chapters pinned on the board like that is brilliant.

Must go, getting seriously addicted to this software :smiley:

Best advice I have for new users: you don’t have to learn everything at once.

In particular, many people are used to Word, where your life is much easier if you set up all of your formatting styles when you first create a document. That’s not true in Scrivener, and in fact worrying about all the features of the Compile command before you have at least a partial manuscript is neither necessary nor desirable.

Welcome!

Katherine